Bout of Books 14.0 Announcement and Update Post!

Monday, 17 August 2015


Welcome to my Bout of Books 14.0 Announcement post! In this post, I'll be posting my goals for the week, and a temporary TBR!

My goal for this week is to participate in at least 2 of the Daily Challenges, and update you with my page count and books read everyday. For my own personal sanity, there will not be separate posts for each update or challenge, but instead everything will be updated on this post.

For my TBR, I hope to get through 5 books, and I only know 3 that I will for sure be reading. I really want to finish Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson, which i'm about halfway through right now. I also want to finish Somewhere There is Still A Sun by Michael Gruenbaum and Todd Hasak-Lowy, because it's an ARC and I need to have a post up soon! And lastly, I really want to read The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness. I don't want to limit myself with what books I can read, so all these books are subject to change!

Thanks for reading guys, and check back tonight for an update!

Day 1

Day one went by pretty quickly. I had spent the weekend at a friends cottage, so I had a lot of menial tasks to do that were a bit time consuming, but I still was able to finish Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson! I absolutely loved the story, the characters, and the ending was an A+ finale. I'll hopefully have a review up soon. 

I know that tomorrow will be a bit of a weird reading day, because I have to work (albeit, from home). My work involves a lot of physical work, but allows me to listen to an audio book! I'm hoping to get about 7 hours of work done tomorrow, so I've picked out a 7 hour long audiobook - Positive by Paige Rawl. I've become fascinated with memoirs and nonfiction recently, so I thought that this would be a good one!

Hope your first day went well, and I'll catch up with you tomorrow! Happy reading!

Pages read: 304

Day 2

Day 2 didn't hold up all that well. For one thing, I only got 4 hours work done, which means, I didn't get through all of Positive by Paige Rawl. I've got about 3 more hours in the audiobook and I do have faith that I'm going to power through that. I've got some errands to run today, but it should be mostly chill, and relaxed. I'll do my best to update you on my Twitter, which admittedly, has really only been used as of late for screaming and fangirling about musical theatre and Newsies. Whoops.

Pages Read: 130
Pages Read in Total: 434

Day 3

Wednesday was a bit disappointing on the reading front. Although I did finish Positive by Paige Rawl (liked the story, not the audiobook), that was all read. I went to the mall with my sister and we had a grand old time, then I went to a friends house and we crafted for like, 5 hours. T'was a good day. I think i'm going to start Somewhere There is Still a Sun by Michael Gruenbaum and Todd Hasak Lowy on Thursday, and hopefully power through it. I'm also drifting towards picking up Finding Paris by Joy Preble, but hey. That could change.

Pages Read: 130
Total Pages Read: 564

Day 4

Thursday was not a good day. I was up way too late, slept in way too long, and was just a total bum yesterday. Aside from walking the dog, I didn't leave the house. And aside from Tumblr posts, I didn't read. Here's hoping the weekend will be better.

Pages Read: 0
Total Pages Read: 564

Day 5

Didn't read today. 

Pages Read: 0
Total Pages Read: 564

Day 6+7

FINALLY. SOME PROGRESS! I started Somewhere There is Still a Sun by Michael Gruenbaum and Todd Hasak Lowy on Saturday and Finished it on Sunday! It was an...interesting read. I won't go into it, but you'll see a review of it in the next few weeks!

Pages Read: 384
Total Pages Read: 948

Thanks for going on this journey with me guys!


2 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend a book by Jim West called Libellus de Numeros (The Book of Math) that my 11-year-old daughter just
    finished reading. The story is about Alex, a young precocious girl, who mysteriously gets transported to a strange world where Latin and Math combine in formulas and equations with magical effects. With a cruel council leading the only safe city of its kind in this world, she will have to prove her worth to stay as well as help this city as it is the target for two evil wizards who seek to destroy the city and its ruling council. To help the city and also get back home, she will need the help of the greatest mathematician of all time, Archimedes. In a world where math is magic, Alex wishes she paid more attention in math class.

    A Goodread 5-star review said:

    "The storyline inspires a hunger for knowledge and a 'can do' attitude - a strong message of empowerment for young
    readers. I’m sure that this book will be interesting to read for both, boys and girls, as well as adult readers. Libellus de Numeros means "Book of Numbers" and it's a magical textbook in the story. Math and science are wonderfully incorporated into a captivating plot: Latin and math are presented as exciting tools to make 'magic' and while Latin is often used as a language of magic the addition of math is definitely a fresh approach.

    "The main heroine Alex is a very relatable character for young people, especially girls. I love that she has her flaws and goes through struggles all too familiar to a lot of young people. Alex is an authentic female role model - a very courageous girl, who is not afraid to stand up for herself and others and who is able to learn fast how to use knowledge to her best advantage.

    "She can definitely do everything that boys can and I find this to be a very powerful message that is needed in our modern society. Furthermore, it was a pleasure to read through the pages of a well-formatted eBook. Highly recommended!"

    ReplyDelete