Review: Cress by Marissa Meyer

Saturday, 27 June 2015






Book: Cress

Series: Lunar Chronicles #3

Author: Marissa Meyer

Publisher: Feiwel and Friends

Pages: 552 Pages

Format: Paperback

Source: Purchased at Chapters Indigo




Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army. 

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker; unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice. 

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.




I swear, rereading Cinder last year was the best decision I can remember making. I read Cinder in August or September of 2012, and I wasn't a huge fan of it, but I had heard a ton of stuff about Scarlet, and how some people thought it was better than Cinder. That was at the same time of a read-a-thon, when I decided to read all retellings, and since I didn't have the money to spend on buying more books, and I had Scarlet and Cinder still on my shelf, I gave them both a read. And I don't know why, but I found something in Cinder that I hadn't seen before, and I just devoured the books. And I just recently devoured Cress, and oh my god Marissa Meyer can do no wrong.

Marissa has this was of writing characters that you just want to root for. They are classic underdogs without feeling like underdogs. They are strong, and amazingly compassionate, and I just remember reading these books, especially Cress, wanting to befriend all of these characters. I was rooting for them from page one, and I was just so invested in their stories.

I know that this might seem weird to some, but the Lunar Chronicles give me the same vibe and remind me so much of the Chronicles of Narnia. I just find myself so connected to the characters in the Lunar Chronicles, and they feel like old friends, just as the Pevensie Children did. The magic and fantastical elements of the story made them feel even closer in my mind. These books had this feeling of hope and love and light in dark times, and it just brought me back.

These books remain some of my favourite reads, and even thinking about the characters, and their adventures and relationships make me smile. Marissa Meyer is so great, and I cannot wait to read the rest of this series when it comes out!

5/5 Stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment