Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Sunday, 10 May 2015




Book: Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Series: Daughter of Smoke and Bone #1

Author: Laini Taylor

Publisher: Litte, Brown

Pages: 418 Pages

Format: Hardcover

Source: Received as a gift



Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grows dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real, she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands", she speaks many languages - not all of them human - and her bright blue hairactually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.

When beautiful, haunted Akiva fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?


After hearing so many mixed things about this book, I was super hesitant to read it. But when Sara, from Just Another Story gifted me the box set of this series, I knew I had to give it a go. But, I was still hesitant. Hesitant enough that I only brought the first one to school with me - a decision that i wholeheartedly regret.


Needless to say, I loved this story. I've found myself shying away from paranormal romance novels, just because I felt like they're so cliche and overdone, and I don't feel like sifting through tons of mediocre stories to get one good one. But this one surprised me. I fell in love with Karou and Akiva and their world and the angels and demons of the story. I loved it all so much that I know this review won't do it justice. 



I think the world in Daughter of Smoke and Bone is one of my absolute favourite worlds that i've ever read. I was simply blown away by the detail of the world, and the history behind it, and the integration with our own world. I could see every detail so clearly and I loved getting to learn about the history of Karou's world, especially when it involved Brimstone and the Demon's world.



While the world was amazing, Karou was the shining light in this book. Karou really surprised me, and I think it was because she's so different. She was so very real to me, and I found myself relating to her in so many ways. I, about half way through the novel, realized how defensive and protective I had become of her. I just wanted to hold her and feed her cake and tell her that it's all going to be okay.



Another thing I loved, which I wasn't sure I was going to, was the last part of the book. VAGUE SPOILERS AHEAD!!! I loved the final section of the book, and getting to learn about the history of the characters, and finally being able to see how everything fits together. As soon as I realized that that is how the book will end, more or less, I was a tad disappointed. But when I finished reading, I knew that I should have trusted Laini Taylor, because it was AMAZING.



Okay, Spoilers over. :D 



I honestly cannot wait until I get to read the next book, so that I can spend time with Karou and Akiva again. And I can't wait to finish the series, because I'm desperately hoping for a happy ending. Laini Taylor's writing blew me away, as she crafted a story filled with equal parts desperation and wonder, completing captivating me.



5/5 Stars. 



No comments:

Post a Comment