Review: The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Friday, 31 October 2014






Book: The Sky is Everywhere

Author: Jandy Nelson

Publisher: Speak

Pages: 277 Pages

Format: Paperback

Source: Purchased at Chapters Indigo


Where to Buy: Chapters Indigo, Amazon CA, The Book Depository








Goodreads Summary

Adrift after her sister Bailey's sudden death, Lennie finds herself torn between quiet, seductive Toby—Bailey's boyfriend who shares her grief—and Joe, the new boy in town who bursts with life and musical genius. Each offers Lennie something she desperately needs... though she knows if the two of them collide her whole world will explode.

Join Lennie on this heartbreaking and hilarious journey of profound sorrow and mad love, as she makes colossal mistakes and colossal discoveries, as she traipses through band rooms and forest bedrooms and ultimately right into your heart.

As much a celebration of love as a poignant portrait of loss, Lennie's struggle to sort her own melody out of the noise around her is always honest, often uproarious, and absolutely unforgettable.

My Review

I was excited to jump into Jandy Nelson's writing, after hearing so many great things about her books from Twitter and from all around the blogs. I had heard that her writing and her characters stood out against a lot of other YA books, but I'd only half agree with that.

The first thing I noticed was that her writing was beautiful. It was effortlessly poetic, and simply flowed. It was such a quick read because of this. The way that she crafted sentences, and the way that she explained emotions really got to me and stuck. Jandy Nelson's writing was definitely the highlight of this book.

But i'd have to disagree that her characters stood out. It might just have been me, or the time that I read it, but I felt very disconnected to all of the characters. When such heavy topics of loss, love, and abandonment are discussed in the book, I want to be connected with the characters, because I care about what happens to them and I care about how they feel and how they cope. Because of my disconnect, I really didn't care what happened to the character, or what happened at all.

My main problem with the book was Lennie. She really irked me. She knew what was right and what was wrong, and she did nothing to try and do right, or to make things right. She only really thought of herself, and while that's okay when you're grieving, you have to be wary of the people around you and not drag them into it. Her reasoning and her thought process drove me up the wall.

I gave this book 2.5 stars; half and half. I really enjoyed the storytelling, but not the story. The format was great, with the lost bits of poetry, and I look forward to reading more of Jandy Nelson in the future :) Have you guys read The Sky is Everywhere? What did you think of it? Let me know in the comments! 

I'll talk to you all later, and happy reading!

- Indigo
@indigowayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment