ARC Review: Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld

Tuesday, 23 September 2014





Book: Afterworlds

Author: Scott Westerfeld

Release Date: September 23rd, 2014

Publisher: Simon Pulse

Pages: 608 Pages

Format: ARC

Source: An ARC was provided from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thanks Simon and Shuester Canada!

Where to Buy: Chapters Indigo, Amazon CA, Book Depository




Goodreads Summary

Darcy Patel has put college and everything else on hold to publish her teen novel, Afterworlds. Arriving in New York with no apartment or friends she wonders whether she's made the right decision until she falls in with a crowd of other seasoned and fledgling writers who take her under their wings…

Told in alternating chapters is Darcy's novel, a suspenseful thriller about Lizzie, a teen who slips into the 'Afterworld' to survive a terrorist attack. But the Afterworld is a place between the living and the dead and as Lizzie drifts between our world and that of the Afterworld, she discovers that many unsolved - and terrifying - stories need to be reconciled. And when a new threat resurfaces, Lizzie learns her special gifts may not be enough to protect those she loves and cares about most.


My Review


This book started out... okay. The two stories intertwining started out alright, and that's where it all dropped off. I don't know what happened to this one, but I was just not impressed. The characters were one sided, the worlds were over developed, there was no real plot, and everything just happened too easily.

The biggest problem for me was that the transitions between Darcy and her story, and Lizzie's story, was that the connections weren't smooth. Yes, I understand the whole 'leave them wanting more' idea, but it was just too jumpy. When I wanted to know more about Darcy, I was thrown into a boring part of about Lizzie, and vice versa. Dual perspective books, whether they be two different stories, different POV, or different time periods, are really hard to do well, and this one just fell flat.

And, building on the dual perspective, there was minimal to no plot in either story! When it came to Lizzie, the plot didn't start till the end of her part of the book. And it was over so quickly! And then when it came to Darcy and her struggles, there wasn't any. There was nothing huge that wasn't sorted out in a chapter of two. I had the same problem with Afterworlds that I did with the Mortal Instruments series; so much happens, yet nothing is actually accomplished. I like when things are accomplished, and the end is different than the beginning, and this book did not have that attribute.

On a different note, I've read the first two books in Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series (I stopped because there was a huge gap between when I read Pretties and Specials; I forgot what happened and didn't want to reread), and they were fine. They were fun reads that were written well. It felt like this book was written by a different author. The writing was next to mediocre. It was simple. This book had the potential to blow me away, because I remember Scott's writing style. It was poetic without meaning to be. I was hoping for that, but I was left disappointed.

I was really unhappy with this book, which makes me really sad. 1/5 stars. Have you guys read this? Let me know what you thought in the comments below! Thanks for reading, and I'll talk to you soon!!

-Indigo
@indigowayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment