Review: Great by Sara Benincasa

Thursday, 8 May 2014







Book: Great

Author: Sara Benincasa

Publisher: Harper Teen

Pages: 263 Pages

Format: Hardcover

Source: Preordered from ChaptersIndigo

Where to Buy: Amazon CAChapters IndigoBook Depository




Goodreads Summary


In Sara Benincasa's contemporary retelling of The Great Gatsby, a teenage girl becomes entangled in the drama of a Hamptons social circle, only to be implicated in a tragedy that shakes the summer community.

Everyone loves a good scandal.

Naomi Rye usually dreads spending the summer with her socialite mother in East Hampton. This year is no different. She sticks out like a sore thumb among the teenagers who have been summering (a verb only the very rich use) together for years. But Naomi finds herself captivated by her mysterious next-door neighbor, Jacinta. Jacinta has her own reason for drawing close to Naomi-to meet the beautiful and untouchable Delilah Fairweather. But Jacinta's carefully constructed world is hiding something huge, a secret that could undo everything. And Naomi must decide how far she is willing to be pulled into this web of lies and deception before she is unable to escape.

Based on a beloved classic and steeped in Sara Benincasa's darkly comic voice, Great has all the drama, glitz, and romance with a terrific modern (and scandalous) twist to enthrall readers.


My Review


The Great Gatsby is my favourite book of all time. No joke. But I'm not a purist. I love adaptations and recreations of the original text, because I'm just so in love with the story. And I loved Great. I absolutely loved it.

One of my favourite characters in The Great Gatsby is Nick Carraway, who is Naomi Rye in Great. What I loved about her character was that she wasn't a passive voice like Nick's in GG. She had this spunky and sassy personality that lept off the page and I really loved her development. There were times when she kept thinking that she should do something and then she didn't because she was scared, or she just didn't want to. Every decision that she made formed her into a better and better character.

Keeping on the character track, I loved how Jacinta's feelings towards Delilah were not seen as love by any other character. THANK YOU, SARA BENINCASA!! The relationship between the two characters is not love! It's mutual obsession and it's weird and scary to people outside of the relationship and I loved how the characters were able to so quickly point that out. I was so glad that that was included.

And Sara Benincasa is hilarious. I mean, I spent the majority of my time reading this laughing my head off. I loved her witty and sarcastic sense of humour, and the humour in this book made the tragedy hit even harder.

Overall, I loved this. I absolutely adored Great, and I think that you would be a 'beautiful little fool' if you didn't pick this up. Without a doubt, 6/5 stars. One of my favourites of this year.

- Indigo
@indigowayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment