Review: The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

Tuesday, 29 April 2014


Book: The Coldest Girl in Cold Town

Author: Holly Black

Publisher: Little Brown Books For Young Readers

Format: ARC

Pages: 419 Pages

Source: Traded at the OBS Meetup 2013



Goodreads Summary

Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. The only problem is, once you pass through Coldtown’s gates, you can never leave.

One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is a wholly original story of rage and revenge, of guilt and horror, and of love and loathing from bestselling and acclaimed author Holly Black.




I had heard so many good things about this book and I saw that Answerly Book Club on Youtube had it as one of their picks for the month, So i thought that it was be a good time to read it. I haven't read a genre book since last summer, when I read a Witch book, and werewolf book, and they were really good, but I hadn't read a Vampire book since my Twilight years, so I didn't really have much to compare it to.

My favourite part of the book was definatly the politics, and the society surrounding the Coldtowns. I loved the way that they functioned, and how some people in that world really wanted to be in a Coldtown. I loved how the Coldtowns were deemed 'cool' by some people, and how some people wanted to become a vampire because that was glamorous. Some of the vampires in Coldtowns have become famous through online streeming and certain characters think that they can do the same.

I don't know what it was about this book, but I just couldn't get into it. It might have been that the plot moved really slowly and i was about 150 pages into it and I felt like nothing had happened yet. It moved too slow for my liking and I actually skim read to the end. I'm really busy all the time and don't have as much time to devote to reading right now, and life's too short to read bad books.

I won't say anything about Holly Black's writing style as a whole, but from what I've learned, I really liked her world building. I loved getting to see the nooks and crannys of the world before we got to dive into it, but it got to be too much. It seemed like she was trying to write suspense, but I just got impatient. 

I wasn't a huge fan of this one, but I really liked the world building and the back stories. I won't disregard Holly Black in the future, but I won't be rushing back into her books. 2 Stars.

-Indigo
@IndigoWayworth

2 comments

  1. Aww, a pity you didn't like it. =/ I've heard a lot of fantastic stuff about this novel too, but I'll probably pass because it doesn't sound very much like my type of book. Nice review! :)

    Daphne @ Reading Until Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't get into it :( Thank you!! <3

      Delete