ARC Review: To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

Friday, 18 April 2014



Book: To All the Boys I've Loved Before


Author: Jenny Han

Publication Date: April 15th, 2014

Publisher: Simon + Schuster Books for Young Readers

Pages: 368 Pages

Format: Advanced Readers Copy, provided from the publisher

Source: Simon and Schuster Canada

Requested from Simon and Schuster Canada in exchange for an honest review

Goodreads Summary:
Lara Jean's love life goes from imaginary to out of control in this heartfelt novel from the New York Times bestselling author of The Summer I Turned Pretty series.

What if all the crushes you ever had found out how you felt about them — all at once?

Lara Jean Song keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her. They aren't love letters that anyone else wrote for her; these are ones she's written. One for every boy she's ever loved— five in all.

When she writes, she pours out her heart and soul and says all the things she would never say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only. Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and suddenly, Lara Jean's love life goes from imaginary to out of control.




I really love contemporary YA, but being a teenager myself, I find that I am very critical of main characters. It's easy for me to judge them and their behaviour because we're often times the same age. That was where my big problem came in for this book.

The character of Lara Jean really got to me. She desperately wanted to be treated like an adult in the wake of her sister leaving, yet she acted irrationally, and childish throughout the novel. She was whiny and was really irritating. Along with her childishness, she also came off as extremely superficial, in the way that she acted, dressed, and spoke. Everything about her kind of pissed me off.

The romance in the story was also really fake. I know that that is how the romance is supposed to start off, but as it develops, it doesn't get any better. It seems fake, and forced, and it doesn't seem like they're happy in the relationship. It really irked me.

The one redeeming factor about this book was the writing. Jenny Han is great at writing compelling, and dramatic stories, and it really shows through in this book. The pacing was great, and everything was written for a purpose. I really liked the flow of it, and I know that I would have liked it more had I liked the characters better.

Overall, it was an okay read for me. It was nothing special, but the writing was good. I will be checking out more of Jenny Han's writing in the future :)

2.5/5 stars

-Indigo
@IndigoWayworth

1 comment