Review: Hollow City by Ransom Riggs

Friday, 21 March 2014



Book: Hollow City

Series: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children #2

Author: Ransom Riggs

Publisher: Quirk Books

Pages: 396 Pages

Format: Hardcover

Source: Preordered from 

Buy the Book: The Book Depository, Amazon, Chapters Indigo
Goodreads Summary

The extraordinary journey that began in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children continues as Jacob Portman and his newfound friends journey to London the peculiar capital of the world. But in this war-torn city, hideous surprises lurk around every corner. Like its predecessor, this second novel in the Peculiar Children series blends thrilling fantasy with never-before-published vintage photography to create a one-of-a-kind reacting experience.



I'm not going to lie, I was really hesitant about Hollow City. I loved Miss Peregrine's Home and I was scared that a sequel would ruin it. And I should have had more faith in Ransom because I loved it. I loved it.

It had been over a year since I read Miss Peregrine's home and I'm going to be honest, I forgot what had happened during it. But Ransom does such a good job of pulling you back into the world as if no time had past at all. It really showed how fantastic he is at world building. The world of the Peculiar children is such a fun world to be apart of and I loved every second of it.


Jacob is one of my favourite male protagonists. That's because he is so self aware, and he is not your average hero. There is a point in the book where Jacob pulls out his cell phone, even though it doesn't work, and that was a moment that really stuck with me. He is not this strong, emotionally solid character, but instead a person who feels a little lost at times. I don't know why, but that was one of my favourite parts in the book.


There is not a lot else I can say. I was really happy with the way it turned out. The sense of adventure was incredible, and the characters were wonderful. All in all, the stakes were heightened in all aspects of the book and it was such an incredible journey. If you haven't read this, what are you waiting for?! Go buy it now!!


5/5 stars


Indigo
@indigowayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment