Review: Wonder by R.J. Polacio

Wednesday, 5 February 2014







Book: Wonder

Author: R. J. Polacio

Publisher: Knopf

Pages: 315 Pages

Format: Hardcover

Source: Library Book

Rating: 3/5 Stars

Where to Buy: AmazonBook DepositoryChaptersIndigo




Goodreads Summary


I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.

August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?

R. J. Palacio has written a spare, warm, uplifting story that will have readers laughing one minute and wiping away tears the next. With wonderfully realistic family interactions (flawed, but loving), lively school scenes, and short chapters, Wonder is accessible to readers of all levels.



I had heard so many great things about Wonder, and more specifically about the main character, Auggie. The way that people had spoken about him and what supposedly happens to him was different than what the book actually is.

The story follows Auggie and his first year in regular school. Because he has a facial deformity, he is no stranger to bullys. I was really hoping that this book would be about bullying for younger kids. God knows how many books there are about bullying in high school, but I wasn't sure about lower schools. But it didn't seem like it was all about bullying. It really seemed like the story was about the importantance of friendship, which was great, don't get me wrong, but It seemed like the lines between 'good' and 'bad' were so thickly drawn.

The book is told from multiple points of view, from characters like Auggie, his sister, Via, her boyfriend, and some of Auggie's friends. Because of this, the characters that I thought were supposed to be bad, or did things that I thought were bad were justified much too easily and far too quickly for my taste. It got annoying that the characters who were good were 100% good, and same with those that were bad. None of the characters really had to redeem themselves.

I did like Wonder. It was a light read, but I didn't create a bond with any of the characters. I didn't really care about any of them to any significant extent. The story threw me off, but It was still enjoyable. 3/5 stars.

Let me know what you thought about this book in the comments below, and I'll talk to you all soon! Until then, happy reading!

-Indigo
@Indigowayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment