Review: Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen

Sunday, 16 February 2014




Book: Lost Lake

Author: Sarah Addison Allen

Publisher: St. Martin's Press

Pages: 296 Pages

Format: Hardcover

Source: Purchased at Chapters


Goodreads Summary

From the New York Times bestselling author of Garden Spellscomes a novel about heartbroken people finding hope at a magical place in Georgia called Lost Lake.

Suley, Georgia, is home to Lost Lake Cottages and not much else. Which is why it's the perfect place for newly-widowed Kate and her eccentric eight-year-old daughter Devin to heal. Kate spent one memorable childhood summer at Lost Lake, had her first almost-kiss at Lost Lake, and met a boy named Wes at Lost Lake. It was a place for dreaming. But Kate doesn't believe in dreams anymore, and her Aunt Eby, Lost Lake's owner, wants to sell the place and move on. Lost Lake's magic is gone. As Kate discovers that time has a way of standing still at Lost Lake can she bring the cottages—and her heart—back to life? Because sometimes the things you love have a funny way of turning up again. And sometimes you never even know they were lost . . . until they are found.


I love Sarah Addison Allen. She is one of my favourite authors, and a lot of that has to do with her writing. She writes such beautiful stories with enchanting magical elements that you can't help but be wonderstruck. I found that in Lost Lake, the magic was lacking. While Sarah is usually very good about incorporating magic into different story lines, I found that there was not as much magic.

What I did get out of the book was amazing, though. The story was about Kate and her daughter Devin, taking a spur of the moment vacation to Lost Lake, a small resort by a lake that Kate's great aunt Eby Prim owns. One of my other favourite things about Sarah Addison Allen's books, is that she has such vivid writing when it comes to locations and setting that I feel like I am instantly transported. It's so beautiful and it keeps me engaged.

I think this is one of my favourite plot lines that I've read in one of Sarah's books, my favourite being either The Girl Who Chased the Moon, or Garden Spells. I was totally engrossed in this plot. There was so much going on at all times, yet it seemed like a constant stream of stories instead of rapid waves. I adored it.

I overall really liked this book. It was not the best of Sarah Addison Allen's works, but it was still really enjoyable. 4/5 stars.

-Indigo
@indigowayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment