Series Review: Just One Day and Just One Year by Gayle Forman

Friday, 24 January 2014






Book: Just One Day

Author: Gayle Forman

Publisher: Speak

Pages: 400 Pages

Format: Paperback

Source: Bought at Barnes and Noble

Where to Buy: AmazonChapters IndigoBarnes and Noble


Goodreads Summary

Allyson Healey's life is exactly like her suitcase—packed, planned, ordered. Then on the last day of her three-week post-graduation European tour, she meets Willem. A free-spirited, roving actor, Willem is everything she’s not, and when he invites her to abandon her plans and come to Paris with him, Allyson says yes. This uncharacteristic decision leads to a day of risk and romance, liberation and intimacy: 24 hours that will transform Allyson’s life.
A book about love, heartbreak, travel, identity, and the "accidents” of fate, Just One Day shows us how sometimes in order to get found, you first have to get lost. . . and how often the people we are seeking are much closer than we know.

I have a slight love affair going on with Paris and Amsterdam. They are my two favourite cities in the world, even though I have yet to visit the latter. When I saw that Just One Day was set in both Paris and Amsterdam, I started reading it.

I had never read anything by Gayle Forman before, but as soon as I started, I knew it was going to be a good one. Her writing style is so vivid and unique that it's hard to not be enchanted by it. She writes like everything is important and to downplay anything is a crime. The way that she wrote not only the setting, but her characters and their emotions really struck me as amazing. I was so impressed with the writing, and I am hooked.

The story had me from the synopsis. She played on such a well known fantasy, that an attractive European man will sweep you off your feet and take you to the city of lights and love. But it shows the morning after. The part of the story I liked the most, wasn't the day in Paris (Which I loved), but was the after, how Allyson felt with it. It took such a fairy tale fantasy and made it realistic.

The story was incredible, the characters realistic, and the writing superb. 5/5 stars to Just One Day.







Book: Just One Year

Author: Gayle Forman

Publisher: Dutton Children's

Pages: 323 Pages

Format: Hardcover

Source: Bought at Chapters

Where to Buy: AmazonChapters IndigoBarnes and Noble



Goodreads Summary

The heartrending conclusion—from Willem’s POV—to the romantic duet of novels that began with Allyson’s story in Just One Day
After spending an amazing day and night together in Paris, Just One Year is Willem’s story, picking up where Just One Day ended. His story of their year of quiet longing and near misses is a perfect counterpoint to Allyson’s own as Willem undergoes a transformative journey, questioning his path, finding love, and ultimately, redefining himself.

As soon as I finished Just One Day, I went out and bought Just One Year. I was so excited to read the story from Willem's point of view, wanting so badly to know what was going on with him. And I was not let down.

Just One Year was just as captivating, and the story was just as beautifully written. Willem's story brought such a sense of understanding to me. I was finally able to see the other side of the story, fitting together pieces of the puzzle of both their day in paris, and Willem's life. I was so happy to finally understand.

The story was amazing as well. Getting to see Willem as a person, and not only a mystery was incredibly fascinating. It was a little odd at first, getting inside of his head because he is so different from Allyson, yet the nuances of him made him so similar. The only way that I can describe the reading experience was like being given half the pieces to a puzzle, and getting to one by one piece them together. 

I really did love this series, and I can't wait to read more Gayle Forman. 5/5 Stars, as well.

-Indigo
@IndigoWayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment