013 End of Year Book Survey - #NYW14 Day 2

Thursday, 2 January 2014


Hey everyone! I hope you're as excited to read this as I was to write it! Jamie, from The Perpetual Page Turner does this survey every year, and this is my 2nd survey! I hope you guys have fun reading! 

1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)


Fantasy/Dystopian: The Fire and Thorns Trilogy by Rae Carson (The Girl of Fire and Thorns, The Crown of 
Historical Fiction: The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?


 Definitely Reboot by Amy Tintera!  

 3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 


 4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?

Just One Day by Gayle Forman, and Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

 5. Best series you discovered in 2013?


The Girl of Fire and Thorns trilogy by Rae Carson


 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?

Rainbow Rowell, Hilary T. Smith, and Emil Ostrovski

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon. I don't read many adult novels, im not huge into science fiction, and I don't usually listen to the audio book, but I really loved this story in all sense.

 8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?

Defiance by CJ Redwine, Wild Awake by Hilary T. Smith, and The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak

 9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

I don't often re-read books, but I think I'm going to reread Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door before Isla comes out. I also think im going to reread Divergent series if I have time before the movie!


10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?



11. Most memorable character in 2013? 

Kiri Byrd from Wild Awake, Ezra Faulkner from The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider, Kenji from Unravel Me, and Hector from The Fire and Thorns series by Rae Carson

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?

Unravel Me. No, Wild Awake. Wait, Paradox of Vertical Flight... and Book Theif. Oh God, I don't know

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 

Paradox of Vertical Flight and The Beginning of Everything. I loved Paradox because of so many reasons, mainly because I could see so much of my own insecurities within the main character. And I was really impacted by TBoE because of the idea of personal tradgedies. Just, read both of these

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. I really love this book and this series and I just rEALLY WANT ISLA NOW.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
 From Wild Awake:

“As I pedal down the street ... the city blocks peel away like pages in a book I’m rifling through to find a single, highlighted sentence.”

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?


This is not including children's books and Novellas.
Shortest: Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan (208 Pages)
Longest: The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak (560 Pages)

 17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!


I don't wanna spoil anything, so highlight for the books you've read:
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell; When Cath and Levi kissed
Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell; the Postcard at the very end
The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak; When Rudy Steiner died
Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi; Chapter 62

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

Romance – Cath and Levi (Fangirl), Juliette and Warner (Unravel Me), Willem and Allyson (Just One Day), Hector and Eliza (Bitter Kingdom)
Friendship – Eliza and Mara (The Bitter Kingdom), Ezra and Toby (The Beginning of Everything), Cath and Reagan (Fangirl)

Familial — The Cahill Sisters (The Cahill Witch Chronicles by Jessica Spotswood)

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider. I read her middle grade series called Knightly Academy that she published under the name Violet Haberdasher and I fell in love with her then. Also, Two Boys Kissing.

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:


 Stolen: A Letter to my Captor by Lucy Christopher

21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?

Contemporary YA :)

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?


Levi from Fangirl, Finn from The Cahill Witch Chronicles, and Hector from The Girl of Fire and Thorns Series!

23. Best 2013 debut you read?


I'm going to go with The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon. I would also like to say that honorable mentions are The Paradox of Vertical Flight by Emil Ostrovski and Wild Awake by Hilary T. Smith

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?


Stolen: a Letter to My Captor by Lucy Christopher, and The Book Thief. I was instantly transported to both WWII Germany and the Australian outback as soon as I started these.

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?


The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate. I got to run a book club at the library where I work and reading this with the kids was so much fun!

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?


Too many to list. I cry easily. The ones that I remember most vividly are The Book Thief, Beautiful Redemption by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, Eleanor and Park, and Fangirl.

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?



I cannot stress this enough, but Wild Awake. I know I talk about it a lot, especially in this survey, but I really think it was a beautiful book and I don't know many people that have read it.

reading-life-2013


1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013? 

I found Belle's Bookshelf earlier on this year. I really love the features she has on her blog, and I loved her Aussie Author book challenge :)

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013? 

I'm really proud of the reviews I did for Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, where I talked about how Cath was a super hero to girls like me. I also really liked my review of Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan, even though it was super short.

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?

I didn't really have any discussions on my blog this year. That was something I wanted to change for the new year. I want to do more posts about what im thinking about, and more personal stuff.

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?

I was really interested on this post about how book blogging isnt very expensive. I agreed with the original poster to an extent, but I find it very interesting that she has this outlook. It might be because, in comparison, my blog is not known very well at all and her's is, but she made the point of saying that once she started getting review copies and hosting blog tours, the costs of book buying went down significantly. I have only received review copies and eGalleys once in a blue moon, and think that that statement is only relevent to certain people. She also made a statement about blog themes and about how those who are 'serious about blogging long term' should be able to invest in a decent theme. That rialed me a little, but oh well. We can disagree every once in a while.

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

Going to see Rainbow Rowell in October, and going to the Ontario Blog Squad Meet Up!
Getting to meet a ton of bloggers at the OBS Meet up this year!

6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?

I really loved getting to meet authors this year! i got to meet Jessica Spotswood, Emily Pohl Weary, Elizabeth Wein, Eve Silver, and Rainbow Rowell!

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

My review of Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson! She retweeted it, so it was really all her ;)

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

... All of them? To be honest, I'm lucky to get 20 views on a post sometimes.

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

Epic Reads and HCC Frenzy, as well as the RazorbillCanada Twitter!

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

I set a goal to read 73 books (1 more than last year) and I read 76 books!

2014-books


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?

Scarlet by Melissa Mayer. I liked Cinder, but I wasn't thrilled with it. A lot of people who have read Scarlet and Cress now say that it gets better, and I have been pushing it off. Also, I've been wanting to read the Vampire Academy by Rachelle Mead. I think I'm going to binge read the series sometime this spring or summer.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?

I'd list them all here, but I'm doing my most anticipated books later this week! I'll post a link when it's up!


3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
I cannot wait for The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings, which comes out June 10th, and Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy, which comes out March 18th! I cannot wait for these two beauties to join the ranks of my shelf!

 4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?

IGNITE ME OH MY GOD I NEED IT.

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
I really hope that I am able to dedicate more time to my blog and get into a regular blogging schedule. I don't know how well that's going to go because I start University this year, but I will try my hardest!


Thank you all for reading all the way to the end! Link my to your surveys in the comments, and Happy New Year!

See you tomorrow with my top 13 of 2013!
-Indigo
@IndigoWayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment