Book Banter: Graphic Novels

Monday, 16 December 2013



I had never really gotten into the genre of Anime, Manga, or Graphic Novels. I don't know why, but the images and the storytelling didn't really appeal to me. Then my mind changed with the help of two very different graphic novels, Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi, and The Arrival by Shaun Tan.

I am very much a words person. I like to read and I love the way that words can fit together and create so much meaning. I love the back stories and the inner monologue of characters, getting to understand how they think and feel. Graphic novels, to me, always seemed very one sided, like a comic. I didn't really think that I would get a good understanding of the characters. To be honest, I thought that graphic novels were too juvenile for a really long time.

I read Persepolis for my grade 12 ISU book. It is a true story, told through the eyes of the authors younger self. We follow Marji, as her and her family go through the Iranian Revolution. The story itself was alright, slow at some parts, and there were some parts that I thought were irrelevant, but besides that I liked it. The symbolism of the graphic element itself was amazing, but I really did enjoy it.

I then read The Arrival by Shaun Tan. The story is about this man who leaves his home country in search of a new home. He leaves by himself, leaving his wife and child at home in order to make a home ready for them when they arrive. This book has no words. Yup. No. Words. I was thinking, do I even classify this as a book? But yes. This is a book because the story is beautiful. I cannot think of any other way that this could have been done. It was amazing. It was insightful, and I cannot imagine a better way for this story to be told.

Overall, my opinion on Graphic novels has changed over the past few months, and I'm really glad that it has. I look forward to reading more in the future. What are your favourite graphic novels? Let me know what I should read next!

See you guys soon!

-Indigo
@Indigowayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment