Review: Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Sunday, 3 November 2013





Book: Attachments

Author: Rainbow Rowell

Publisher: Dutton Adult

Pages: 323 Pages

Format: Paperback

Source: Bought at Chapters
Goodreads Summary
"Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you . . . "
Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.
Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.
When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.
By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.
What would he say . . . ?


Rainbow Rowell is a Goddess. I've read all of her books and I don't understand how she does it. She is constantly creating wonderful characters, innovative story lines, and witty yet heartfelt dialogue. I love the way that she crafts these characters that have such prominent flaws, yet that is not the main focus of the character. One of my pet peeves is when a characters flaw becomes romanticized, and I love how she steers clear of this.

This was the funniest of her books I had read so far and I love how she is able to write both drama and tragedy, yet come back with such a hilarious sense of humour. She weaves story lines with uplifting and witty dialogue and impeccable character development, creating a captivating story.

I really loved the format of this book. The way that we only get to see Beth and Jennifer through emails lets the reader fall in love with her alongside Lincoln. The fact that you could fall in love with someone through their emails is such a neat concept and it was pulled off remarkably well. You go, girl.

Whenever I read one of Rainbow's books, I am reminded why I love contemporary so much. The idea of this magical, yet imperfect, love affair happening in the world that I live, eat, and read in makes me so happy. I love how she makes these romances seem so real, like any couple walking down the street, hand in hand, could be them.

I cannot get enough of Rainbows writing style, and I just want her next book right now. 5/5 stars. Loved it.

-Indigo
@IndigoWayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment