Review: The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon

Thursday, 10 October 2013

 

Book: The Bone Season ( The Bone Season #1)

Author: Samantha Shannon

Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing

Format: Audio book via Audible

Length: 14 hours, 57 minutes

Narrator: Alana Kerr



Goodreads Summary

It is the year 2059. Several major world cities are under the control of a security force called Scion. Paige Mahoney works in the criminal underworld of Scion London, part of a secret cell known as the Seven Seals. The work she does is unusual: scouting for information by breaking into others’ minds. Paige is a dreamwalker, a rare kind of clairvoyant, and in this world, the voyants commit treason simply by breathing.

But when Paige is captured and arrested, she encounters a power more sinister even than Scion. The voyant prison is a separate city—Oxford, erased from the map two centuries ago and now controlled by a powerful, otherworldly race. These creatures, the Rephaim, value the voyants highly—as soldiers in their army.

Paige is assigned to a Rephaite keeper, Warden, who will be in charge of her care and training. He is her master. Her natural enemy. But if she wants to regain her freedom, Paige will have to learn something of his mind and his own mysterious motives.

The Bone Season introduces a compelling heroine—a young woman learning to harness her powers in a world where everything has been taken from her. It also introduces an extraordinary young writer, with huge ambition and a teeming imagination. Samantha Shannon has created a bold new reality in this riveting debut.


This was my first audio book experience in a really long time. I vaguely remember listening to Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen on audio book when I was in....7th grade? But other than that I was just never interested. I was a written word kind of girl, completely content with reading. But then I started my co-op (work experience that I get high school credits for) and I wanted something to listen to while I walked 3km there and back. I had received a manuscript of the Bone Season but it was really bulky to carry around and was heavy in my backpack. So I downloaded the audio book. And I loved it.

The Bone Season takes place in the not too distant future with a sort of re-imagined history. The story follows Paige Mahaney, an Irish girl living in Scion London. She is what's known as a dreamwalker; she can travel between 'dream scapes'. I was really hesitant to start the story because I am not too familiar with science fiction. I haven't really gotten into the genre, but was pleasantly surprised when I was able to slide into the world easily. I quickly got used to the terms that these characters used, like dreamscapes, and clairvoyants. 

Paige Mahaney was a very interesting protagonist. She was very real. At the beginning of the story I wasn't too interested in her as a person, but then slowly I came to love her. She is brave, and resilient. She doesn't take crap from anyone. She did what she had to do to survive and tried to make the most out of her crappy situation. Samantha Shannon did a really good job of creating a character that the reader could easily see themselves become friends with. At least I could. by the end of the book, I thought of the feisty little Irish girl as a friend.

The writing was another thing that was really well done. I felt like I was apart of this story. The story is in first person through Paiges POV, and I really liked how she did it. I felt like listening to a real nineteen year old go through this. She wasn't preachy, she wasn't a know it all. She was merely a scared teenager who was trying her hardest to get though a bad situation. The story never seemed like it was going too fast or too slow; there was always an air of suspense. And I loved it. Paige never knew what was going to happen next and I loved how that translated.

I really enjoyed the audio book format. The narrator, Alana Kerr, was fantastic and I loved her voice. She added a lot of emotion to the text that I don't think my mind could have come up with. I really loved the accent, and the different voices that did for each character. I really loved the experience.

I can't wait to read the rest of this series because I see this becoming an amazing world. And I understand why they are saying this might be the next Harry Potter; it just sucks you in. 4.5 stars.

-Indigo
@indigowayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment