Review: Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

Friday, 6 September 2013



Eleanor and Park


Book: Eleanor and Park

Author: Rainbow Rowell

Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin

Pages: 320 Pages

Format: Hardcover

Rating: 5/5 Stars







Goodreads Summary 
Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.


I had heard so much about Eleanor and Park and I was trying to approach it with caution, as a lot of the hyped up books usually fall flat for me. So while I was in Virginia visiting my newly born godson, my cousin (his mother) took me out to Barnes and Noble for some girl time and we both got copies to read together. And we both loved it.

This book was honest and that was what makes it stand out in my mind. Nothing is left out because it's not a pretty thought. The hardships that Eleanor has to go through aren't fun to read about but it made me create this emotional attachment to her as a character. Seeing the way that she is treated and her home life makes me want the best for her, and when Park comes along, I want them together.

Be warned, i'm going to be giving somewhat vague spoilers for the ending. Not any details, but just stuff referring to how the book ends. You've been warned!

Another big part about this book was that it was about the characters, not the relationship. And I know how weird that sounds so let me explain. If this book was centered around the relationship, everything would have worked out in a different way and they would be together forever and la de da. But thats not the way it worked out. The characters did what was right for them as people. Eleanor knew what she had to do to keep herself safe and Park knew what he needed to do to help. And that made me love the characters even more.

Overall, this is such a lovely book with lovely characters and I was up for most of the night finishing this whilst sobbing. I will hold this book close to my heart for a very long time. 5/5 stars.

-Indigo
@IndigoWayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment