Review: The Book Theif by Marus Zuzak

Wednesday, 18 September 2013

 


Book: The Book Thief

Author: Marcus Zuzak

Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers

Format: Hardcover

Pages: 552 Pages





Goodreads Summary

The extraordinary #1 New York Times bestseller that will be in movie theaters on November 15, 2013, Markus Zusak's unforgettable story is about the ability of books to feed the soul.

It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.

Liesel Meminger is a foster girl living outside of Munich, who scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement.

In superbly crafted writing that burns with intensity, award-winning author Markus Zusak, author of I Am the Messenger, has given us one of the most enduring stories of our time.

I read I Am the Messenger last summer and adored it, but I still hadn't picked this one up. Despite hearing nothing but good things, I was always put off by the size and the idea of Death's narration. It just seemed like something I wouldn't like and therefore I just never picked it up, even though I had a beautiful hardcover sitting on my shelf at home. But after seeing the movie trailer, I knew I needed to jump onto that bandwagon and I came out of it in awe, in tears, and in love with this book. 

Liesel Meminger is a sweetheart. She is kind, and smart, and passionate. I found myself on her side through everything. When the book starts we see how painful life is for Liesel. She is hurting and the maternal instinct in me just forces me to love her and be beside her through out all the crap that life puts her through. 

I wasn't expecting to love the narration as much as I did. The idea of Death narrating the story of a 12 year old? Sounds a bit morbid. But I think I liked that the best. Death was always blunt and honest about what was going to happen. he doesn't sugar coat it and that's what makes it have such an impact on the reader. The reader knows what will happen and the fact that I had to watch my favorite characters endure that makes me so sad. It's like since I knew about it, why couldn't I have stopped it? And Death makes sure to tell us, it's because that's not always how things work out.

The relationships in this book are very interesting. These people are forced together and have to make the most of what they have. The relationship between Papa and Liesel was amazing, but the relationship between Liesel and Max was my favourite. It was such an unlikely pairing and yet, their friendship seems almost natural. Just Max, guys. 

This book was so amazing and I regret waiting this long to read it. The story was fantastic, and the writing was enchanting, and the characters were beautiful. I just couldn't imagine this story going any other way. I loved it. I loved it. I loved it.

6/5 stars. So amazing. And so beautiful.

-Indigo
@indigowayworth


1 comment

  1. I'm slowly working my way through this right now! So far it's been really interesting. It's slow, but thought-provoking, and with such a distinct narrative. I can't wait to finish it and see what I think. Sounds amazing! Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete