Review: Stolen by Lucy Christopher

Wednesday, 7 August 2013





Book: Stolen: A Letter to My Captor

Author: Lucy Christopher

Publisher: Chicken House Ltd

Pages: 301 Pages

Format: Hardcover

Rating: 3/5


Goodreads Summary 

It happened like this. I was stolen from an airport. Taken from everything I knew, everything I was used to. Taken to sand and heat, dirt and danger. And he expected me to love him.
This is my story.
A letter from nowhere.

Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back?

The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost.


Written as a letter from Gemma to her captor, Ty, this book had me on edge the entire time. I was sucked in from the first page, where she is talking about seeing him for the first time. I had to know if she was okay, and how she was writing this letter. I was filled with questions about it; was she safe? Was this letter in her mind the entire time? I couldn’t come up with an answer and I found myself flipping the pages as fast as I could to find out what happened to her.

The writing in this book was like nothing I had ever read before. It was so honest and I think that that was what was so hard hitting about this. It wasn’t over the top, and it so realistic that it made is scary. The author made it seem like this was not really a special case and thinking about how this sort of thing happens over and over again still makes me shiver. The author has found a way to use our basic human fears against us and create this aspect of suspense.

But when it comes to if I actually liked this book or not....i’m torn. I appreciate it, don’t get me wrong. I saw Ariel Bisset talk about liking books vs appreciating them and im totally on the fence about this one. I know that it was well written, and the characters were well formed and it was an interesting story, but I didn’t fall in love with the characters, and there were boring parts and It was just kind of an okay read for me.

I give this one 3/5 stars. I don’t know if I really liked it, but I definitely recommend this to anyone.

-Indigo
@IndigoWayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment