Review: Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Friday, 2 August 2013





Book: Born Wicked (Cahill Witch Chronicles #1)

Author: Jessica Spotswood

Publisher: Putnam

Pages: 352 Pages

Format: Paperback

Rating:  5/5


Goodreads Summary
A gorgeous, witchy, romantic fantasy by a debut author! Perfect for fans of Kristin Cashore and the Beautiful Creatures series!
Everybody thinks Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they're witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship--or an early grave. Then Cate finds her mother's diary, and uncovers a secret that could spell her family's destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra. But if what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren't safe--not even from each other.

Something that people talk a lot about in the YA world is strong female characters, and I agree that this genre is chalk filled with them, but I didn't really know the meaning till I met Cate. Cate Cahill has found her way into my heart and has taken up permanent residence there. She is strong, and selfless, but she never takes crap from anyone. What I really like about Cate is that she knows that things aren't going to get better unless she forces them too.

The other characters in the novel are fantastic as well. Maura and Tess make me thing of my younger sister and how annoying she can be, but how I would do anything for her. And can we just talk about my new boyfriend, Finn? Yeah, he's kind of perfect and I just want to hold him and make sure he's always safe.

The story revolves around Cate and her sisters and the new found prophecy. The story was interesting and I was sucked in from page one. I think the greatest part about this story was that nothing came easily. Nothing was handed to these girls on a silver platter, and because of that, we got to see what Cate really wanted and what she was willing to do for the things (and boy) that she wanted.

And can we just talk about the realistic relationships in this book? The way that Cate, Maura, and Tess interact with each other is super accurate. The banter, and the bickering between the girls is the same way that I speak with my sister. Another relationship is the one between Elena and Cate. I can totally understand where Cate's initial resent and slight hatred came into play.

Overall, It was the combination of the connection I had with the characters and the storyline that pulled me in. I was impressed with the female leads and how important it was for the author to make these girls both lovers and fighters.

5/5 stars. Please don't hurt my babies, Jessica.

-Indigo
@indigowayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment