Review: The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider

Friday, 23 August 2013




Book:
The Beginning of Everything

Author: Robyn Schneider

Publisher: Katherine Tegan Books

Pages: 330 Pages

Format: E-ARC

Rating: 5/5 Stars

Publishing Date: August 27th, 2013 

Goodreads Summary
Golden boy Ezra Faulkner believes everyone has a tragedy waiting for them—a single encounter after which everything that really matters will happen. His particular tragedy waited until he was primed to lose it all: in one spectacular night, a reckless driver shatters Ezra’s knee, his athletic career, and his social life.
No longer a front-runner for Homecoming King, Ezra finds himself at the table of misfits, where he encounters new girl Cassidy Thorpe. Cassidy is unlike anyone Ezra’s ever met, achingly effortless, fiercely intelligent, and determined to bring Ezra along on her endless adventures.
But as Ezra dives into his new studies, new friendships, and new love, he learns that some people, like books, are easy to misread. And now he must consider: if one’s singular tragedy has already hit and everything after it has mattered quite a bit, what happens when more misfortune strikes?

Robyn Schneider’s The Beginning of Everything is a lyrical, witty, and heart-wrenching novel about how difficult it is to play the part that people expect, and how new beginnings can stem from abrupt and tragic endings.


 
I love Robyn Schneider and everything she writes. From her tweets, to her videos, to her novels, I have been a fan of hers for the longest time and when I received a digital ARC for The Beginning of Everything, I admit that I squealed. I was not let down.

First off, her writing style is fantastic. She writes these hauntingly beautiful and nostalgic prose that make me shiver and grin from ear to ear. The way she crafts her words is magical and leaves me drooling over the pages. I have scarcely read a book where everything seems like it is a snapshot of reality. There is this harshness of reality that is soften by these big ideas and dreams from small town thinkers and dreamers. I was hooked from page one. Also, there are so many fantastic puns in here, guys. So. Many. Puns.

Next up, the characters. I really appreciated the fact that the roles are reversed from normal standards. I mean, normally its boy meets girl, girl falls for boy, boy kisses girl. In this story, conventional is tossed out the window in replace for something so much more interesting and imaginative. The character of Ezra seemed all to familiar to me and I was able to relate to him. He may be from middle-of-nowhere California, but things there are quite similar to middle-of-nowhere Canada. Cassidy kept me on my toes the whole book. And every time she came into the scene, my eyes lit up. Because I her, I had this longing to go vintage shopping, go to College classes, and escape the panopticon with her. She reminds me of who I always wanted to be when I was 11 and the girl I still want to be now. Is it too late for me to become an Oreo, where 'manic pixie dream girl' is the cookie, and intelligent, zany, somewhat hipster teenager is the cream? No? Okay.

Everything in this book worked so well together. The pacing was fast, but not fast enough for it to be too quick. There was a sense of insta love but it worked out so well that it wouldn't have been the same without it. And one of my favourite parts was their personal tragedy aspect. I love thinking that; everyone has that one defining moment and after it, everything will change. It really is the beginning of everything.

This is a book that has stayed with me for a very long time. I read and wrote this review in March, and I still feel the exact same way I did then, if I don't love it more now.

Overall, I have no complaints. I loved this book from page one till the very end.

5/5 stars

-Indigo

@indigowayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment