Review: Reboot by Amy Tintera

Thursday, 25 July 2013

Book: Reboot (Reboot #1)
Author: Amy Tintera
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 365 Pages
Format: Hardcover

I really liked the concept of this book. It was a dystopian with a little syfy, set in the not to distant future with a romance. It was like Amy Tintera took everything I loved and pushed it into one book that was awesome.

Goodreads Summary
Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation).
Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum.
The perfect soldier is done taking orders.

The story of Wren and Callum was actioned packed and there was never a dull moment. The suspense was well written and I was interested the entire time, but that's where it really ends. The writing was great and the pacing was on key but nothing else really stuck out about this one. But let me just say that the action was great!

The character of Wren was a little bland and I can understand that. Shes a reboot, she's supposed to have no to minimal emotions, but if that's so, why write it from first person? Yeah, we get to see her grow, but what is there to grow from? I didn't get to connect with her on an emotional level and it bother the crap out of me.

Another thing that really bothered me was the instalove between Wren and Callum. It was sickly sweet at times and it just really got on my nerves. If the love was postponed to book 2, I would have been a lot happier with the story but alas, you can't always get what you want.

Overall, I was slightly disappointed with this book and am only giving it a 2.5/5 star rating. The characters were a bit of a let down and it just wasn't for me.

-Indigo
@indigowayworth

1 comment

  1. I completely agree with you, Indigo! I was really looking forward to this book as well, I read it the moment it came out and was just left feeling like it missed its mark, mostly concerning the characters.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete