Review: Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Thursday, 11 July 2013




Book: Neverwhere

Author: Neil Gaiman

Publisher: Avon

Pages: 370 Pages

Format: Massmarket Paperback

Rating: 3.5/5


Goodreads Summary
Richard Mayhew is a plain man with a good heart - and an ordinary life that is changed forever on a day he stops to help a girl he finds bleeding on a London sidewalk. From that moment forward he is propelled into a world he never dreamed existed - a dark subculture flourishing in abandoned subway stations and sewer tunnels below the city - a world far stranger and more dangerous than the only one he has ever known...
I was very disappointed by Stardust by Neil Gaiman and I was somewhat reluctant to pick up another one of his books, but after one of my best friends practically shoved this into my hands, I knew I had to read it because as she put it once, 'I only read good books'.

I don't really have that much to say about this one. Out of everything in this book, I liked the characters and the humour. Neil Gaiman is funny without trying to be. I think it's because he's British, but who really knows. The subtly of his writing when it comes to jokes makes everything seems funnier than it actually is.


And the characters just fit so well together. The way that they all played off one another's emotions and fears made then seem real. Door was my favourite. She was so driven and the way that she could manipulate everyone around her in the simplest ways made me applaud her and also wish I could be her.



Neil Gaiman is best read in one sitting because of the subtly in his writing, and I didn't do that with Neverwhere or Stardust. The small details with characters, themes, and symbols are so easily glossed over if it's read in pieces. I think i've learned my lesson. His plots and themes are so intricately woven into his stories and I really needed to sit down and pay closer attention to this detail.


3.5/ 5 stars.

-Indigo

@indigowayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment