Review: Defiance by C.J. Redwine

Monday, 8 July 2013

Book: Defiance (Defiance #1)
Author: C.J. Redwine
Publisher: Balzer and Bray
Pages: 403
Format: International Paperback Edition

At my local grocery store, there's a book section and I had always seen this one on display and I finally took a chance and ordered it. Holy. Crap. I am in love. CJ Redwine, just take my money and give me book 2, like, yesterday. I want to know what happens to badly!


Goodreads Summary

While the other girls in the walled city-state of Baalboden learn to sew and dance, Rachel Adams learns to track and hunt. While they bend like reeds to the will of their male Protectors, she uses hers for sparring practice.

When Rachel's father fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the city's brutal Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector: her father's apprentice, Logan—the boy she declared her love to and who turned her down two years before. Left with nothing but fierce belief in her father's survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself.

As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can't be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making


So first off, the relationship between Rachel and Logan was perfectly executed. Seriously. I didn't get a sense of instalove and that was what made it. There was enough explanation of both of their backstories to justify their actions and their feelings towards each other. This made every single action-reaction and choice rational, which made their relationship all the better.


I also, really loved the switching point of views. I loved seeing both sides of the story and how they each saw each other. It brought a lot of clarity to the story, understanding what each one of them went through before they came together. Each character had such a voice and I really admired that. Logan was kind and selfless, while Rachel was fiery and headstrong and the sheer contrast between the two characters was beautiful.


C.J. Redwine seamlessly creates a world and characters that had me turning the pages faster than I thought was possible. I let 8 hours, 4 cups of tea, and 6 phone calls pass me by while I was sucked into this story. I am trying my hardest to be patient for book 2, Deception, to come out, but it seems like I'll end up preordering it anyway. Also, Deception comes out on my birthday! What a great gift :)


I give this one a 5/5 stars. It deserved it.
-Indigo
@indigowayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment