Review: Graceling by Kristen Cashore

Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Book:Graceling (Graceling #1)
Author: Kristen Cashore
Publisher: Harcourt
Pages: 471 Pages
Format: Hardcover

I had been putting off reading this book for God knows how long and when my friend Ann Bernice (Go check out her blog here!) loaned it to me, I had no other option but to read it. 

Goodreads Summary

In a world where people born with an extreme skill—called a Grace—are feared and exploited, Katsa carries the burden of the skill even she despises: the Grace of killing. She lives under the command of her uncle Randa, King of the Middluns, and is expected to execute his dirty work, punishing and torturing anyone who displeases him.


When she first meets Prince Po, who is Graced with combat skills, Katsa has no hint of how her life is about to change.

She never expects to become Po's friend.

She never expects to learn a new truth about her own Grace—or about a terrible secret that lies hidden far away...a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone. 
 I haven't read much fantasy in the past, mainly sticking to contemporary and dystopia, and when neither were doing it for me, I knew I wanted to venture into the realm of high fantasy. After reading The Girl of Fire and Thorns, I had high hopes for Graceling. But the beginning was lacking a bit for me. It started out really slowly and didn't pick up until about a third of the way through, and it seems like that for most fantasy books. I guess because of the world building, and how much time that takes, but can't I get a little forshadowing up in here? :P

But the middle of the book was fantastic. The way that it was written, not sparing the gory details and perfectly describing how the characters were feeling. The character of Katsa was one of my favourite things about this book. The fact that she was able to stay who she was for the entire story made me smile, because screw boys and those girls who change for them.

The end of the book was.....lacking. I was expecting a killer ending for such a killer book, but it fell flat for me. Although it was all in character and I could understand the choices that were made, my heart just wanted things to work out!

Anyway, I'm giving this book 4 out of 5 stars. Half off for the start, half off for the end. But I still really liked it! I dont know if I will read the other two books, but you should tell me! Let me know in the comments below if you think I should!

-Indigo
@IndigoWayworth

2 comments

  1. I get what you the beginning was slow, but it really picked up! I actually started out not liking this book at all, but as I read I fell in love with the setting and the characters. I am not a big fan of Po, though. He always seemed creepy to me...I loved the second book even more! I think it was because I liked the setting and the concept better. And the third one was alright, but not amazing. You should definitely continue with the series!!! Great review!
    Fly to the Sky @ Read Books and Live Green

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine really recommended me the Graceling trilogy, is it really interesting to read or just like to pass time?

    ReplyDelete