Review: Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

Wednesday, 13 February 2013

Book: Unravel Me(Shatter Me #2)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 469 pages
Format: International Paperback 

This book was one of my most anticipated of the year, and HOLY CRAP GUYS. It was so good and just, ugh. So many feels. Also, Tahereh Mafi is now number one on my author hit list. I'm coming for you, Tahereh.

Goodreads Summary

Juliette's world is beginning to unravel.
Everything is falling apart changing.

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point-the headquarters of the rebel resistance. There she discovers other people with abilities. Abilities they have learned to control. And for the first time in her life, Juliette has hope. Hope that she can have a life with Adam. Hope that her touch can be used to save instead of destroy.

But Juliette is only just beginning to understand the depth of her power, and she's struggling to fight the desire to use it. She's still haunted by her past, terrified by her future, and too tempted by Warner, who still wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.

In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart-and Adam's life.


The one thing I missed the most about this series was the writing. Tahereh mafi throws conventional out the window and the way that the books are written is just stunning. The repetition, the cross outs, and the beautiful prose makes the whole story more poignant and that much more addictive.

Her characters were fantastic as well. Juliette, while a fantastic narrator, really pissed me off at times and  Kenji (who is kind of like my fave ever okay? okay) just puts her in her place. Her characters are realistic, and how these flaws that make them very real  and make you want to side with them. I really have no sympathy for characters who are perfect and have no flaws, so it was a great turn of events.

Also, since the Shatter Me series is a romance series that the love triangle in this book was nothing like I could have ever imagined. It was crazy and hectic and filled with plot twists and moments that made me go Oh My Warner whist I was out in public. Just, don't read chapter 62 in public guys. Take it from me. And now I don't know who I want Juliette to be with. Part of me ships Juliette and Warner, and another part wants Juliette and Adam (and another part wants Warner and Kenji.... I mean what?) But I can honestly say that I don't know. This might be because I am emotionally attached to Warner and he is my baby, and another part is that it kills me to see Adam without Juliette.

And this plot fit in perfectly. It's hard to talk about without spoiling things, but it just flowed so well and there was never a dull moment in Omega Point.

Just, if you haven't read this series, you have to. Make it top priority because the writing and the characters and the plot will make you fall in love and give you a yearning to kill Tahereh Mafi because she makes you cry.

<-- See this face? See it? EVIL. (lol jokes, Tahereh I love you 5ever)

A definite 6/5 stars. How could it not be?

-Indigo
@IndigoWayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment