Review: Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Tuesday, 5 February 2013

Book: Stardust
Author: Neil Gaiman
Publisher: William Morrow Paperbacks
Pages: 250 Pages
Format: Paperback

I have heard so much about Neil Gaiman and I knew that I had to read all of his books soon, because apparently, his writing is beautiful. So when my friend lent me Stardust, I started reading it immediately. And I wasn't totally thrilled by it.  

Goodreads Summary

Hopelessly crossed in love, a boy of half-fairy parentage leaves his mundane Victorian-English village on a quest for a fallen star in the magical realm. The star proves to be an attractive woman with a hot temper, who plunges with our hero into adventures featuring witches, the lion and the unicorn, plotting elf-lords, ships that sail the sky, magical transformations, curses whose effects rebound, binding conditions with hidden loopholes and all the rest.

I really don't know what to say about this one. It was just a 'meh' kind of book. The writing, on one hand, was beautiful. The imagery of the land of Faerie was breath taking and made me see the beautiful hills, and the shimmering glass flowers. But on the other hand, I didn't like the characters. Besides not getting to know them well enough to create a bond with them or care about them in any way.

When the characters don't matter in my mind, the entire plot falls through. I end up not caring if the character succeeds or fails or whatever. And that really made me not enjoy the book. If I was at a part that would be considered climactic, I would be able to put down the book because I wasn't into it.

2.5/5 stars. Not my kind of book.

-Indigo
@IndigoWayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment