Review: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Saturday, 9 February 2013

Book: Ready Player One
Author: Ernest Cline
Publisher: Broadway
Pages: 374 Pages
Format: Paperback

I saw Priscilla over at the Readables review this a long time ago and ever since I was really interested in the whole idea of a virtual reality doubling over into the real world. And when my aunt bought it for me for Christmas, I knew that I had to read it. So, I put it on my immediate TBR list and may I just say, my geek-self was squealing the entire was through.

Goodreads Summary

It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS, a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.
And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune--and remarkable power--to whoever can unlock them.
For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday's riddles are based in the pop culture he loved--that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday's icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes's oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.
And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.
Suddenly the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt--among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life--and love--in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.
A world at stake.
A quest for the ultimate prize.
Are you ready?


Whoo, long summary!

The whole novel was pulled off very well. The fact that I would lose myself in it and think that Wade was actually Parzival (his avatar) and he was in the game was incredible because in reality he's just sitting on the floor in his room or in his hideout with a visor and a pair of gloves on. The entire virtual world that Cline has created made me want to log onto the OASIS myself and start the hunt.

After the first fifty or so pages which were really just background knowledge and was kind of slow and boring, the plot started to pick up and I was hooked. I was drown into the world, rooting for the main characters to find the next key and the next gate and getting as sucked into the drama as much as the characters were.

Another thing that I loved about this book was the writing style. The way that the references to everything flowed into the story so seamlessly like they were meant to be there was fantastic. And nothing was forced. The clues were smart and made perfect sense in the grand scheme of things. But I was not expecting the romance part of it and the whole thing made me squeal up until one part and I was just like:
Seriously, guys. Just... so many feels. SO. MANY. FEELS.

And that's all I really have to say about Ready Player One. The writing was great, except for a bit of slowness at the beginning and some parts during the middle. But other than that I really enjoyed it! And I think, even if you're not into geek culture, you should give this one a go.

4/5 stars

-Indigo
@Indigowayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment