Review: Deep Betrayal by Anne Greenwood Brown

Friday, 8 February 2013

Book: Deep Betrayal (Lies Beneath #2)
Author: Anne Greenwood Brown
Publisher: Random House/ Delacorte
Pages: 320 pages
Format: E-book from Net Galley
Release Date: March 12th, 2013

When I got the email saying that I now had access to read Deep Betrayal, I think  that I may have done a happy dance. And it wasn't a let down. If anything I actually enjoyed this one more that the first, because I now have a  feel for the characters and I care about them a lot. So, the book comes out in two weeks, and here are my two cents about it! And don't worry; spoiler free!

Goodreads Summary

It's been thirty days, two hours, and seventeen minutes since Calder left Lily standing on the shores of Lake Superior. Not that she's counting. And when Calder does return, it's not quite the reunion Lily hoped for. Especially after she lets her father in on a huge secret: he, like Calder, is a merman. Obsessed with his new identity, Lily's dad monopolizes Calder's time as the two of them spend every day in the water, leaving Lily behind.

Then dead bodies start washing ashore. Calder blames his mermaid sisters, but Lily fears her father has embraced the merman's natural need to kill. As the body count grows, everyone is pointing fingers. Lily doesn't know what to believe—only that whoever's responsible is sure to strike again. . . .
The book was fantastic, and one of things I loved was getting to read from Lily's point of view. It was really interesting getting to read about Calder and the whole mermaid deal from a human. After the first one, I was able to understand how Calder felt about loving a human, but in Deep Betrayal, I loved reading about the relationship with a mermaid. The whole aspect is so odd and weird, but I love it so much; seeing Calder and Lily together despite everything just asdfghjkl done.

Also, the plot was just addicting. I read it in just over 24 hours. I read it on a plane home from Orlando, and I swear that the woman next to me was scared of my enthusiasm. Whoops. But the whole novel just has this kind of flow to it, and you sit down to read a chapter, but 100 pages later you realize that that was waaaaay more than a chapter and you still don't want to put it down.

And it was the perfect sequel. The characters grew, the plot was fantastic, and the writing was even better. I think that everyone should read this series, because it's just. so. good.

5/5 stars. Well done, Anne and I can't wait for the book to be released!

-Indigo
@Indigowayworth

1 comment

  1. Can't wait!!!! Loved the first book! Congratulations on your new book!

    ReplyDelete