Review: James Clyde and the Diamonds of Orchestra by Colm McElwain

Sunday, 27 January 2013

Book: James Clyde and the Diamonds of Orchestra 
Author: Colm McElwain
Publisher: Matador
Pages: 240 Pages
Format: Paperback (Sent to me by the author. Thanks, Colm!)
Release Date:  February 1st, 2013

I was contacted a few weeks ago by the author about reading this book, and I jumped at the chance to read it. And when I saw that Carrie Hope Fletcher, who's opinion on books I hold high, said that she was loving it, I was twice as excited. Unfortunately, I'm currently studying for exams, so reading it was pushed to the back burner, but I finally finished it the other day (at around 1 Am, I should say. Couldn't put it down).

Goodreads Summary

Alongside his friends Ben and Mary Forester, James Clyde must protect a powerful diamond from falling into the wrong hands. A strange and sinister man dressed in black is also pursuing the diamond and will stop at nothing to obtain it. James and his friends set off on a perilous journey to return the diamond to its rightful place. But they are being hunted every step of the way by the relentless man in black who will stop at nothing to obtain the all-powerful diamond.



First off, this book was ADDICTIVE. When I started reading it, I had to peel myself away from the story. I found my mother yelling at me for reading when I should have been practicing my French verbs. Whoops! But it was fast paced, which is a huge thing in a book for me because it kept my interest and made me want to flip the pages faster.

The characters were awesome as well. I haven't read a book where the characters are younger than I am in a long time, and the way the characters perceive the world and the events that occur is fantastic. Their frame of mind is so innocent and it makes me just want to pick up James, Ben, and Mary and hold them. They had this wonderful, hopeful air to them that gave the book this interesting atmosphere.

And the atmosphere was my favorite part about the story. I cannot tell you how many times I've wanted to just melt into the pages of my childhood stories, and just stay there, and I am forever jealous that the three main characters are able to do just that. The imagery of the mountains, and the evil queen and the brave knights make me want to visit Zara and stay there.

Colm McElwain has created a world filled with magic, knights, and evil queens that had me sucked in from page one. I only had one problem with it; It was over too soon! I am desperately hoping that there will be a sequel, because I cannot wait to return to Orchestra!

4/5 stars. I think that everyone should go and pick this one up when it is released on February 1st! A must read!

-Indigo
@Indigowayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment