Review! Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Friday, 18 January 2013

Book: Code Name Verity
Author: Elizabeth Wein
Publisher:
Pages: 343 Pages
Format: Hardcover
Rating: 3/5

I had seen some rave reviews on this, and my aunt bought it for me as a Christmas gift and I was so excited to read it. But the truth is, although it was good, it didn't live up to expectations.

Goodreads Summary

Oct. 11th, 1943--A British spy plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France. Its pilot and passenger are best friends. One of the girls has a chance at survival. The other has lost the game before it's barely begun.
When "Verity" is arrested by the Gestapo, she's sure she doesn't stand a chance. As a secret agent captured in enemy territory, she's living a spy's worst nightmare. Her Nazi interrogators give her a simple choice: reveal her mission or face a grisly execution.
As she intricately weaves her confession, Verity uncovers her past, how she became friends with the pilot Maddie, and why she left Maddie in the wrecked fuselage of their plane. On each new scrap of paper, Verity battles for her life, confronting her views on courage and failure and her desperate hope to make it home. But will trading her secrets be enough to save her from the enemy?
Harrowing and beautifully written, Elizabeth Wein creates a visceral read of danger, resolve, and survival that shows just how far true friends will go to save each other. Code Name Verity is an outstanding novel that will stick with you long after the last page.



After all the reviews I had read claiming that this book was amazing, I had high expectations. But honestly? I don't really know how to feel about this book. It was filled with so much detail that at times, I had to put it down and recap what had just happened. There were so many names of planes, and generals or Gestapo officers, and expeditions that I couldn't keep up. Another thing that bugged me about this book was that, at the end of part one, it felt like the book was over, and all of part 2 was just kind of a let down.

The characters were what kept me reading. I wanted to know what happened to Maddie and Julie. I wanted to know what happened to them in the end. They were such well thought out characters and they were more like sister in the way that they acted around each other, making such a great team.

I'm really impartial about this book. While the story was interesting enough to keep my attention, I really didn't care a lot about it. It was interesting, but it moved so slowly.

Overall, I'm giving this a 3/5. The three was because the writing was amazing and I loved the journal style of the book. Oh well.

-Indigo
@Indigowayworth

1 comment

  1. Really great review! I personally LOVED this book to pieces. I think it was because of the friendship. It was kind of epic! At one certain point I literally sat there crying and crying! (I NEVER CRY ABOUT BOOKS) I get what you mean though.

    ReplyDelete