2012 End of Year Book Survey

Tuesday, 1 January 2013


Here is day #1 of my New Years Blog Spree! First up is the 2012 End of Year Book Survey by Jamie at The Perpertual Page Turner!

1. Best Book You Read In 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)
Okay this is being done by genre because how do you expect me to chose?!

Adult Fiction: The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen
Contemporary YA: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak, Bunheads by Sophie Flack, Going Bovine by Libba Bray, Perks of Being a Wallflower by  Stephen Chbosky
Dystopian YA: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi, The Selection by Kiera Cass, The Maze Runner by James Dashner
Supernatural YA: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown, Entwined by Heather Dixon

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Debutantes by Cora Harrison. I was so expecting to love this, but I ended up just hating it. It was predictable and it made me so angry

 3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012? 
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. I just picked this book up as a whatever kind of book, but I ended up falling in love with the writing, and the characters and the plot. I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I do.

 4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
Either The Fault in Our Stars by John Green or Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. Also Beautiful Creatures because awesome series :D

 5. Best series you discovered in 2012
I fell in love with the Beautiful Creatures series by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. The world that has been created is fantastic and the characters are almost palpable, and it makes me want to get lost in the world of the Casters for days on end.

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
I read my first Libba Bray book this year and I loved it. Going Bovine was witty and hilarious, but the way that everything tied in to make one message just blew my mind.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Entwined was the first book that I read that was a fairy tale retelling. Besides some of Donna Jo Napoli's books, this was my first real introduction to retellings and I loved it.

 8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garica and Margaret Stohl. I was so captivated by every word on the page and found myself dreaming of Gatlin when I should have been focusing in class.

 9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
Hands down, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I need to read it again and again and again.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?

The colors of this cover are so pretty, and it looks so clean and innocent which is really ironic because of what the book is about. I just can't get enough of this cover.















11. Most memorable character in 2012? 
The most memorable character in my mind is either Ridley Duchannes from Beautiful Creatures, or Dulce from Going Bovine. I love love love both of these girls.

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. Her words leaped off the page and made me speechless. This woman has talent.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012? 
Going Bovine by Libba Bray. The themes of heroism and the way love and death effect your life. It really struck a chord with me, and it made me really think.

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read? 
BEAUTIFUL CREATURES SERIES. WHY DID I WAIT

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012? 
Oh dear lord, here we go:

“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”                                          
Shatter Me, Tahereh Mafi

There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. God knows that’s what everyone else does."                        
The Fault in Our Stars, John Green

“In a world like this one, only the random makes sense."  - 
Going Bovine, Libba Bray

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012? 
The longest I read was Beautiful Creatures with 563 pages, and the shortest was Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi which was 83 pages on ebook.

 17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
The book was Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I read this book in school and at one point, near the end, I had to put 

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
My favorite romantic relationships have been Lena and Ethan (Beautiful Creatures), Hazel Grace and Augustus (TFiOS), and Haven and Iain (The Eternal Ones).

My favourite friendships have been Adam and Kenji (Shatter Me), Ethan and Link (Beautiful Creatures), and Charlie, Sam, and Patrick (Perks of Being a Wallflower)

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously?
The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson. I read this very early on this year, and I loved it just as much as I loved the first one.

20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
All of John Green's novels. I read them all this year, and I was so glad I did.


And that it is it for me today! I hope you stuck with me this far, and come back again tomorrow for another post!



No comments:

Post a Comment