Book Review! Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Thursday, 27 December 2012

Book: Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles #2)
Authors: Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Pages: 503 Pages
Format: Paperback

So after I finished Insurgent, I was in a reading slump. I couldn't get out of it until I realized that I was trying to read books that I didn't really want to read. I wanted to finish the Divergent series but a lack of third book made that impossible. So I wanted to read this book, but I promised myself that I wouldn't read it because I didn't own it, and therefore wasn't going to buy it this close to Christmas. But for Christmas, my neighbor bought me all of the books so I've been on a spree! So here is my rave review about Beautiful Darkness!

Goodreads Summary

Ethan Wate used to think of Gatlin, the small Southern town he had always called home, as a place where nothing ever changed. Then he met mysterious newcomer Lena Duchannes, who revealed a secret world that had been hidden in plain sight all along. A Gatlin that harbored ancient secrets beneath its moss-covered oaks and cracked sidewalks. A Gatlin where a curse has marked Lena's family of powerful Supernaturals for generations. A Gatlin where impossible, magical, life-altering events happen.

Sometimes life-ending.

Together they can face anything Gatlin throws at them, but after suffering a tragic loss, Lena starts to pull away, keeping secrets that test their relationship. And now that Ethan's eyes have been opened to the darker side of Gatlin, there's no going back. Haunted by strange visions only he can see, Ethan is pulled deeper into his town's tangled history and finds himself caught up in the dangerous network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, where nothing is as it seems.

While I was reading this book, nothing else mattered. And that was what I am really in love with when it comes to these books. I was drawn in by the world and the imagery, and I couldn't put it down. All I wanted to do was inhale these characters, and know all about them. I love the relationship that Lena and Ethan have and it left me heartbroken at times, and smiling like an idiot other times. And I love Ridley. She makes me smile a lot :D

Not only are the characters fantastic but the plot give you a run for your money. Seriously, how Kami and Margaret are able to come up with such intense, crazy good story lines blows me away, you think you see a plot twist and you think you know what it is, but there it is, a million miles away from the expected (Seriously, you'd think these ladies were taking lessons from Stephen Moffat himself.... Anyone?).

These ladies write so effortlessly well together you'd think that this was written by one person, and that these characters were people, standing over their shoulders, making sure that everything they write down is true to who they are. The use of metaphors and imagery is haunting and beautiful at the same time, making me smile at the beauty and get goosebumps all at once.

A definite 5/5 stars. This deserved it. Now onto Beautiful Chaos!!

-Indigo
@Indigowayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment