Book Review! Debutantes by Cora Harrison

Monday, 22 October 2012

Book: Debutantes
Author: Cora Harrison
Publisher: Pan Macmillan
Pages: 310 Pages
Format: Paperback

When I saw the cover and read the synopsis for this book a while ago, I fell in love. I was so excited to read this because, its set in 1920's London, and that's my favourite time period and place. I was also really excited about the plot. I was severely let down.

Goodreads Summary

It’s 1923 and London is a whirl of jazz, dancing and parties. Violet, Daisy, Poppy and Rose Derrington are desperate to be part of it, but stuck in an enormous crumbling house in the country, with no money and no fashionable dresses, the excitement seems a lifetime away.

Luckily the girls each have a plan for escaping their humdrum country life: Rose wants to be a novelist, Poppy a jazz musician and Daisy a famous film director. Violet, however, has only one ambition: to become the perfect Debutante, so that she can go to London and catch the eye of Prince George, the most eligible bachelor in the country.

But a house as big and old as Beech Grove Manor hides many secrets, and Daisy is about to uncover one so huge it could ruin all their plans—ruin everything—forever.

First off, While I was expecting a fast paced, fun novel that was plagued by secrets, I got the exact opposite. Debutantes was  excruciatingly slow, and the plot didn't pick up till about 75 pages till the end. The beginning was...okay, but the middle just went on, and on, and on with little scenes that really did nothing for the overall plot. I'm sorry, but do I really need to know everything that happens while developing film? Because there was an overwhelming amount of that. I was just so bored while reading about 90% of this book.

Also, a pet peeve of mine is, when things and situations in book are just overly convenient. There was a lot of that in this book. Whenever a character encounters a problem that hinders their life, something else would happen that would make things all fine and dandy again, and the problem is immediately solved. I couldn't take anything seriously because there was no. Real. Conflict.

Lastly, the ending was unsatisfactory, to say the least. It was cliched, and just made me put down the book, sticking it in the back of my shelf without a second look. I did not have a good time reading this. At all.

So... yeah. 1/5 stars. Just... yeah.

-Indigo
@indigowayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment