Book Review! Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Book: Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles #1)
Author: Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Publisher: Penguin
Pages: 563
Format: Paperback

I had been pestered by some friends to buy this novel and read it for the better part of two years. After declining with some stupid excuse, my friend took it upon herself to but the book for me and send it to me. What lay inside the pages took my breath away.

Goodreads Summary 

There were no surprises in Gatlin County.We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.At least, that's what I thought.Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.There was a curse.There was a girl.And in the end, there was a grave.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.

Okay, so this book was stunning. The whole deal with the Casters was flawless, and the world that the authors had come up with was perfect and I was drawn in from the very first page. I love my southern states, especially South Carolina, and to see a town that was as small as this, and as close knit as this really made me happy. I loved the imagery, and how the location was really a character of itself.
Also, I'm a sucker for love stories, and lately? I haven't been finding very many good ones. And Beautiful Creatures gave me my fix! I found myself flailing every time Ethan and Lena were together, and every time they kissed, I became an incoherent mess due to pure fan-girling. And when this happens during class? I know I've found a good one.

This book was fast, smart, a little bit sassy, and a whole lot of wonderful. Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl created such a novel that I found myself rapidly flipping pages, until I came to the final one. I am now in the midst of ordering book 2, Beautiful Darkness, and I am so excited to read this one!

6/5 Stars. I recommend this to anyone who hasn't read it already. SO GOOD!

-Indigo
@IndigoWayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment