Book Review! City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Monday, 20 August 2012

Book: City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments #2)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Pages: 453 pages
Format: Paperback

I was persuaded by my friends to read the first book in this series, City of Bones, and after that I was hesitant to read book 2. They persuaded me to read City of Ashes, and although it was better than book one, I wasn't fully happy with it. Keep reading to find out why! BE WARNED! There are slight spoilers for book one so leave now if you haven't ready City of Bones!!

Goodreads Summary

A murderer is loose in New York City ...

... and the victims are Downworlder children. Clary Fray and her fellow Shadowhunters have a strong suspicion that Valentine, Clary’s father, may be behind the killings. But if he is the murderer, then what’s his true motive? To make matters worse, the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, has been stolen, and the mysterious Inquisitor has arrived to investigate, with his eyes vigilantly targeted on Clary’s brother, Jace.

Clary will need to face some terrifying demons and even more terrifying family decisions. No one said that the life of a Shadowhunter would be easy.

I really don't know where to being with this book. I wasn't overly in love with CoB, mainly because of the pacing and the writing style. I feel like in this book, the plot did move faster, but it was still slow in parts. And something happened with this book that I found happened in the last one: So much happened, but nothing really happened until the very end.

Also, I really couldn't get over the aspect of incest in this novel. I know you're supposed to feel bad for the characters but really, i was just creeped out how they still kissed. I mean, still having feelings is one thing, but trying to find a way to make it seem okay, like they did at one point was just weird, and I couldn't get past it.

I was also slightly disappointed because they didn't really elaborate on the Magnus and Alec relationship. I have been assured they do cover that in the next book.

Other than that I liked it. There was more character development, I liked the battle scenes, and the writing has settled on one style and I enjoyed it. a 3/5 stars.

-Indigo
@IndigoWayworth 

No comments:

Post a Comment