Book Review! A Blue So Dark by Holly Schindler

Thursday, 2 August 2012

Book: A Blue So Dark
Author: Holly Schindler
Publisher: Flux
Pages: 277 Pages
Format: Paperback Library book


Hey everyone! When I saw this book from the library, I picked it up immediately. I havent read many books about mental illness, so when I decided to try something new, and it wasn't at all what I expected. Keep reading to find out why!

Goodreads Summary

Fifteen-year-old Aura Ambrose has been hiding a secret. Her mother, a talented artist and art teacher, is slowly being consumed by schizophrenia, and Aura has been her sole caretaker ever since Aura's dad left them. Convinced that "creative" equals crazy, Aura shuns her own artistic talent. But as her mother sinks deeper into the darkness of mental illness, the hunger for a creative outlet draws Aura toward the depths of her imagination. Just as desperation threatens to swallow her whole, Aura discovers that art, love, and family are profoundly linked—and together may offer an escape from her fears.

I really enjoyed this book, and the way that it was structured. I liked how you got to see Aura's mom get worse and worse as the book went on, and how you really go to see how it effected Aura. It takes its toll on her because she really is so young and so alone that she is desperate to keep her mother at bay. Aura is such a strong character and the way that she goes about things is incredible. I really admired her as a character and I felt for her.

I also really liked the creative aspect of the story, in the way that Aura knew that she was an artist and that one day, there was a chance, she would be sick too. She always had that looming over her head as she waited for the day that she went insane. It was a hard thing to read, yet you know that it was realistic. This book didn't hold anything back in that manner. The reader was catapulted into the mind set of a schizophrenics daughter and its an incredible experience.

I give this book a 4/5 stars. I really loved this book, but the one thing I didn't like was the slight romantic element. it felt out of place and it wasn't needed. The book otherwise, was incredible.

-Indigo
@indigowayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment