Top Ten Books For People Who Liked Lock and Key

Tuesday, 17 July 2012

I am back today for a Top Ten Tuesday! I was trying to decide which book to find recommendations for and I came across Lock and Key on my shelf. I had some many books that I could recommend come flooding into my head and I knew that I had to do this post!

The books that I've picked to recommend were chosen mainly because they deal with family issues, or they are great summer reads about moving to a new home. Lock and Key is one of my favorite books and I hope, if you haven't read it already, you all go and pick it up!

The Book: Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen


I read this book a while ago and I loved it! I had never read about this certain aspect of family and it was done very well. I loved the character of Ruby and the way she learned to accept the family that was built around her.

The Recommendations


1. The Magic in Manhattan Series by Sarah Mlynowski
I love this series. Its about teenage witches, which kind of seems like the farthest thing from lo0c and key, but like that book, this series has a very different family dynamic. This series mainly consists of Rachel, Miri, her younger sister, and their mother. It is a funny, charming, witty book series made of 4 books, Bras and Broomsticks, Frogs and French Kisses, Spells and Sleeping Bags, and Parties and Potions.

2. Guitar Highway Rose by Bridget Lowery 
I read this book every summer because in my mind, it is the very definition of summer read. Its a great book about a rebellious teenager and her over protective parents and what she does to try to gain independence.

3. The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen
Set in a quirky little town, the main character Emily has a very messed up, secretive past and family. And she is finally faced with the truth. This, along with some magical realism, make me think that lovers of Lock and Key will love this book.

4. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
A complete classic that everyone should read about a different kind of family. Ponyboy, to me, is the male version to Ruby because of their shared need for independence. Everyone should read this book.

5. Songs for a Teenage Nomad by Kim Culbertson
In this book, there is more family issues, mainly to do with her mother. Its a great book where music is Calle's version of Ruby's key. If you've read the book, you get that reference.

6. Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown
Another interesting type of family. Calder and his sisters were forced together and really the dynamic in this book is very different and its not really written about in YA. This is obviously one of my favorite books this year :)

7. My Friend Flicka by Mary O'Hara
A great book in which the main character Ken is kind of like Ruby's older sister in the way that hes trying to take care of her the best way he can. Another book that everyone should read at least once in their lives.

8, 9, and 10. Along for the Ride, Chasing the Moon, and Dreamland all by Sarah Dessen
Of course, I need to recommend all Sarahs other books because they are all wonderful contemporary novels that you will love. :D

Hope you enjoyed by list! See you again soon!!! Remember to comment with your TTT posts and follow my blog if you feel inclined to do so :)

-Indigo
@IndigoWayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment