Book Review! Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma

Wednesday, 18 July 2012

Book: Imaginary Girls
Author: Nova Ren Suma
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Pages: 348 Pages
Format: Hardcover Library Book

I had this book on my to be read list for the past few months, and I finally found it at the library, so I thought I would pick it up, and unfortunately, I wasn't a fan of this book. Keep reading to find out why!

Goodreads Summary


Chloe's older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can't be captured or caged. When a night with Ruby's friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers the dead body of her classmate London Hayes left floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away from town and away from Ruby.

But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns to town two years later, deadly surprises await. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood.

With palpable drama and delicious craft, Nova Ren Suma bursts onto the YA scene with the story that everyone will be talking about.

All right, so I wasn't fully satisfied with the plot. The idea was good but just the way it was carried out didn't work for me. I liked how the synopsis told the story as a family secret that was revealed, but I didn't like how it was planned out and the author kind of built up this huge secret that I thought would be something that when it was revealed in all its glory, I would have been like, "Why didn't I think of that?!" But I was severely underwhelmed by it and it ruined the book for me.

What I didn't like about this book was the writing style and how the author could pick up on little emotions and smaller details and bring them forward, creating a very honest story and very interesting characters. I loved the way that the sisters were written, especially when Chloe first came back, and the sisters were taking time to keep up all the traditions they had as kids. My favorite quote was, "After the last bell at school, there was no white car waiting for me—no detour down the old highway alongside the real highway, no windows open wide so the wind could dread my hair. I had to take the bus." Best line in the book.

So while the plot wasn't great, the writing and characters made up for it. I'm going to give Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma a 3/5 stars.

I hope to see you soon! Make sure to follow the blog!! :)
-Indigo
@IndigoWayworth

1 comment

  1. I've been on the fence to whether I should read this for a while. The cover is so gorgeous but it seems every one is kind of inthe middle and I'm not immediately drawn in by the synopsis. But I do like good characters so I may have to try it.

    marissa
    http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete