Book Review! I am the Messenger by Marcus Zusak

Sunday, 8 July 2012

Book: I am the Messenger
Author: Marcus Zusak
Publisher:  Knopf Publishing
Pages: 357 pages
Format: Paperback

Hey guys! I'm sorry I've been a bit MIA lately, but if you follow me on twitter, you'll see what I've been up to. So I read this book about a week ago and I'm so excited to share my review with you, so here we go!

Goodreads Summary


Meet Ed Kennedy—underage cabdriver, pathetic cardplayer, and useless at romance. He lives in a shack with his coffee-addicted dog, the Doorman, and he’s hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence, until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery. That’s when the first Ace arrives. That’s when Ed becomes the messenger. . . .

Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary), until only one question remains: Who’s behind Ed’s mission?

Winner of the 2003 Children’s Book Council Book of the Year Award in Australia, I Am the Messenger is a cryptic journey filled with laughter, fists, and love.

I really loved the honesty about this book. The whole plot and the characters were completely honest with themselves and with others. The plot wasn't trying to be something it wasn't and the book as a whole took itself very seriously. The characters on the other hand, were very flawed yet super content with with it. They are super incredible and realistic that they are, in a way, almost palpable and you are able so side with them so easily.

The other things I really liked about this book was the way the theme of worthlessness was dealt with. Ed has spent his entire life feeling worthless and when the cards start showing up, he is given the chance to change that and his inner battle about it is really interesting and fun to read.

Overall, there was nothing I didn't really like about this book. Marcus Zusak has written this book in such a beautiful way that it makes me hungry for more. I cant wait to read his other books. 5/5 stars.

-Indigo
@Indigowayworth







1 comment

  1. Great review! Would you like to join a giveaway of a YA distopia, The Moon Dwellers on my blog?

    Follow this link if you're interested!
    http://zue-leysza.blogspot.com/2012/07/moon-dwellers-author-interview-and.html

    ReplyDelete