Book Review! The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen'

Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Book: The Girl Who Chased the Moon
Author: Sarah Addison Allen
Publisher: Bantam Books
Pages: 265 pages
Format: Paperback

Welcome back to the blog, everyone! I got this book, The Girl Who Chased the Moon, when I went to a yard sale and I picked it up because the cover was pretty and the back blurb sounded cool. Oh my god. Such an incredible book. Before I even start, go buy it. Go and read it.

Goodreads Summary


Emily Benedict has come to Mullaby, North Carolina, hoping to solve at least some of the riddles surrounding her mother’s life. But the moment Emily enters the house where her mother grew up and meets the grandfather she never knew, she realizes that mysteries aren’t solved in Mullaby, they’re a way of life: Here are rooms where the wallpaper changes to suit your mood. Unexplained lights skip across the yard at midnight. And a neighbor, Julia Winterson, bakes hope in the form of cakes, not only wishing to satisfy the town’s sweet tooth but also dreaming of rekindling the love she fears might be lost forever. Can a hummingbird cake really bring back a lost love? Is there really a ghost dancing in Emily’s backyard? The answers are never what you expect. But in this town of lovable misfits, the unexpected fits right in.

I have had such a hard time writing this review. This book was beyond beautiful and I'm having trouble putting my love for it into words. No review I could write would ever do this book justice. But, as I was saying earlier, I am going to force everyone that I know to read this book. 

This book is set in a quirky little barbecue town in North Carolina called Mullaby. I have always loved these kinds of towns and this one is described so well that I felt like I was there. This was a great part of the book because it really set the tone for the whole story and I could see the town in my mind so easily.

Also, the writing style is phenomenal. Every single line in that book was haunting, and beautiful, and pure gold. If anything, you should read this book for the beautiful writing. There was one line in the book, and it was, "It was like snow had settled over their world, turning everything cold and silent." That line made me shiver from the pure brilliance behind it.

But that wasn't even the best part. The author created such beautiful characters. Emily was so real and she had this curious nature about her, and she was so considerate about other people. She was an amazing character and I loved the relationship she had with Win, and the one she developed with Julia. Speaking of which, Julia was my favorite character. In the summary, it says that she bakes hope in the form of cakes and it is so true. Her story is so heartbreaking and sad but yet she is so hopeful. I cried during one of her parts. She was incredible.

Overall, Sarah Addison Allen has written a beautiful story of lost love and found happiness, set in a small town with a sprinkle of magical realism. Its the perfect combination. This is one of the best books I've read all year. 

6/5 stars. They are well deserved.

-Indigo
@IndigoWayworth


No comments:

Post a Comment