Book Review! Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Wednesday, 13 June 2012

Book: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Author: Ransom Riggs
Publisher: Quick Books
Pages: 352 Pages
Format: Hardcover

Hey guys! I'm back again to do a review on Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children. I heard about it in a John Green video, and it was on sale at Wal Mart so I thought I should pick it up. I was really intrigued by the pictures and I was very happy with what I got from this book.

Goodreads Summary 


A mysterious island.
An abandoned orphanage.
A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.


I really liked the imagery in this book. The images of ruined houses and small, wet, European islands were hauntingly beautiful. The way that everything was described was so amazing that I felt like I was really there. I also really liked how we had Jacob as the main character. He was sarcastic, and witty and a very relate-able teenager. Also, the photography added so much to the book. It was truly beautiful

The pacing was also very well done. it was quick paced, but slow enough to give you the reminder that this book, or the majority of it, takes place over the course of a week or two. The beginning and the middle were fantastic and well thought out, but the ending kinda drug on a little. It was fine, just not as well paced as the rest of the book.

Byt what I didn't like was the ending and the news of a book two. The ending just kinda came without warning. I knew it was setting up for book two, but i'm not sure how well book two is going to be. In my mind, this book was really about the peculiar children and finding the world his Grandpa always spoke of. Now that he knows the children and has created relationships with them, the story was over to me. I know the ending set it up to be either a series or a stand alone, but I really feel as though this book would be best as a stand alone, and that the ending was a little more conclusive.

I had a great time reading this book, and the one thing that will stick with me is the imagery. A solid 4/5 stars is what im giving this book.

-Indigo
@IndigoWayworth

2 comments

  1. Good review! I'm glad you liked reading the book, even though there were some cons. I think I'd like to read it, since I love imagery! Check out Teenage Fiction if you have the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you described Jacob. It was also how I perceived him. I hope you'll give book 2 a try. :)

    ReplyDelete