Book Review! Matched by Ally Condie

Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Book: Matched (Matched #1)
Author: Ally Condie
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Pages: 366 Pages
Format: Paperback


Hello everyone! I am back today with a book review! I am sorry that I have been away for a bit, but I am now done with exams so I am back to reading and back to blogging! So I picked up Matched a few weeks
ago and finally finished today! (No, i literally finished about five minutes ago, then picked up my computer and started writing this. :D ) So here we goooo!

Goodreads Summary
Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.


This book was not really what I was expecting. I wasn't sure about reading this because I usually hate love triangle, but since a lot of people love this book I thought i would give it a go, but I honestly wasn't impressed. The story was a good idea. But it might be the fact that I've read so much distopia lately, but I really wasn't all that impressed with the society created. Its like she picked up the best parts from other fictional societies and made one. The tablets were a really good and well done idea.

I really did enjoy the characters. I loved Ky and how he was very mysterious but he was very sincere. His scenes made me smile, and I liked him a lot more than Xander. I also liked Cassia in the way that she wasnt afraid to find her own way. She really tried to look past her society's way of thinking and I really liked that.

But what i didn't like kind of ruined the whole book for me. It was so slow. The pacing was off, and the plot didn't thicken till about 2/3 of the way in, and it really bothered me. I could only read so much of this book at a time because it moved very slowly. I just couldn't deal. It made the book kind of difficult to read, and reading is usually not very difficult for me.

Overall, this book was a good read, but the pacing really spoiled it for me. 3/5 stars. I think this would be a good summer read, and I'm hoping that you all post your reviews or thoughts on Matched in the comments. I hope you are all enjoying your summer, and I'll see you soon!

-Indigo
@Indigowayworth

1 comment

  1. I actually really loved this book, mainly because of the world-building and pacing. I think she did pull inspiration from other dystopias, especially the Giver, but in a way that I really enjoyed. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete