Book Review! The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

Monday, 4 June 2012


Book: The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials #1)
Author: Philip Pullman
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Pages: 399 Pages
Format: Paperback of the entire trilogy


Welcome back everyone! A few weeks ago, I read the Golden Compass by Philip Pullman, which is the first book in the bestselling His Dark Materials trilogy. A few years ago, it was banned from the catholic school system in my area, so I went out and bought the book (obviously). I hadn't read it until now, though. I was absolutely blown away by this book so let's get started on the review!

Goodreads Summary

Here lives an orphaned ward named Lyra Belacqua, whose carefree life among the scholars at Oxford's Jordan College is shattered by the arrival of two powerful visitors. First, her fearsome uncle, Lord Asriel, appears with evidence of mystery and danger in the far North, including photographs of a mysterious celestial phenomenon called Dust and the dim outline of a city suspended in the Aurora Borealis that he suspects is part of an alternate universe. He leaves Lyra in the care of Mrs. Coulter, an enigmatic scholar and explorer who offers to give Lyra the attention her uncle has long refused her. In this multilayered narrative, however,nothing is as it seems. Lyra sets out for the top of the world in search of her kidnapped playmate, Roger, bearing a rare truth-telling instrument, the compass of the title. All around her children are disappearing—victims of so-called "Gobblers"—and being used as subjects in terrible experiments that separate humans from their daemons, creatures that reflect each person's inner being. And somehow, both Lord Asriel and Mrs. Coulter are involved

What I really loved about this book was the protagonist, Lyra. She was such a real character and her loyalty and honesty blew me away. SHe was written like a real child. She had just the right amount of courage and innocence and I fell for that instantly. I also loved Pan, her daemon. And while we're on the subject, the daemons were incredible too. The bond the humans and them had was well written and very believable.

Another thing that stood out was the symbolism used in the novel and how the author used symbolism to really tell the story and used it as apart of the story. The alethiometer  was so well thought out and planned out and I was in love.

I honestly loved this book. The themes of innocence, religion, and freedom through knowledge ran deep through the story and made for a perfect book. I once heard someone say that when you read this book, it will make you a better person. And it did. I'm not sure in what way, but it did, and I can feel it.

5/5 stars.

-Indigo
@IndigoWayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment