Book Review! Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Friday, 11 May 2012

Book: Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pages: 352 Pages
Format: Trade Paperback


Hello lovely readers! I'm sorry about my absence this week. I have been quite busy with tests, and projects, and the opening night of my play which went very well! But now I am back with another review, this time for Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi! I had heard great things about this book and I was so excited to read it!

Goodreads Summary

Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

I had absolutely no idea what to expect from this novel. But from what I got out of it, I was pleased. I loved how the author really shows you how Juliette feels by using beautiful metaphors and gorgeous prose. She uses these tools to make you really understand the state of Juliette and the society she is living in. Another thing that stood out to me was how, when reading, Juliette really seemed like she was a prisoner, and not like she was a normal person who was locked up. Her state of mind had changed which resulted in the crossed out lines throughout the book, which was probably one of my favourite things about this book.

Juliette also has such a sense of humanity, when she is in the cell or on the run. She has been taught to believe that she really is a monster and she has started to believe it, but she also is running away from it. She doesn't want to be a monster and it shows in every thing that she does and ever decision that she makes. It makes you want to root for her.

The one thing that bugged me about the book was that, at the beginning, you are kept in the dark about what happened to her. You know that she can kill with her touch, but you don't know who she killed or why.

This was an amazing book that stood out so much for me. When i finished the book, i went downstairs to my mom and said "This is character development done right." Juliette progresses so much through the book and it makes her such a great character, and no story would thrive without a great protagonist.
(Also Adam. I liked him :D)

5/5 Stars.

Happy reading!
-Indigo
@IndigoWayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment