Book Review! The Selection by Kiera Cass

Wednesday, 2 May 2012

Book: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Pages: 327 Pages
Format: Trade paperback
Goodreads Link


Hello everybody! Happy May! I hope you guys had a great April and I hope that May is going to be good for everyone! Over the weekend (I showed it in my In My Mailbox video) my friend Danica and I went to Chapters and bought books. We both got the Selection by Kiera Cass and we read it together and both finished it today. So here the review!


GOOD READS SUMMARY


For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


What I really found interesting about this book was that people were saying that its a 'Hunger Games meets The Bachelor', but i rarely saw any similarities. yes, the selection, where it was a number of teenagers put in a reality show, and how one girl wins the heart of the boy, but the plot was so much better than that.

What I loved most about the novel, was that the author really was able to make me feel for the character. I found myself caring for America like she was a friend, and that made the reading experience a lot more enjoyable for me. She was a strong individual who was trying her hardest to make the best of a bad situation. She wasn't like a lot of the other girls, who kept trying to be someone else in order to impress Prince Maxon. SHe realized that this wasnt a competition, but this was a way for the prince to find a bride, and he wanted to marry a genuine person.

What i thought was a little confusing was the castes. I was a little thrown off by them at first but after a little while and little bit of flipping back and forth, I was all good.

Overall, I give this book a 4/5 stars. It was a fast, well written novel with strong characters, but the only thing i wanted more of, was more of a relationship between Aspen and America at the start because it would have made the break up even more heartbreaking.

A beautiful book! Congrats Kiera!
-Indigo
@Indigo Wayworth

1 comment

  1. Great post. I read it a few days ago. I was thrown by the castes too. Glad it wasn't just me.

    ReplyDelete