Book Review! Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown

Friday, 27 April 2012



Book: Lies Beneath
Author: Anne Greenwood Brown
Pages: 303 Pages
Format: Adobe Digital Reader
Goodreads Link
Thanks to Random House Children's Books for this book in exchange for an honest review.


Hello again! Today is a lovely Friday and this weekend is shaping up to be great! I tried sushi for the first time with my brother today, and I got a 90% on a summitive assignment. And to make this weekend better? I got my first ARC!

I received an email saying that I was given the chance to read a modern day fairy tale called Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown, a YA novel based around a pack of murderous mer-people living in the depths of Lake Superior.

The story is about Calder White, an eighteen year old merman who is tethered to his three sisters. Every spring, when its time to reconvene, they meet in Lake Superior, a deep, very dark lake; a  perfect hide out. But this year was different. Calder's oldest sister calls him back early, because they found him; they found the man who killed their mother. They found Jason Hancock.

The siblings want revenge on Hancock for what he did to their mother all those years ago. So they hatch a plan for Calder to get close to Lily, Hancock's oldest daughter, in order to lure him out onto the water. Calder sets out to seduce her, but things start to spiral out of control and Calder falls in love with Lily. What will this do to their plans, and worse; what will  it do to Calder and Lily

What i enjoyed about this book was that the type of mermaids in it were very different from what people are used to. There are two types of mermaids that I knew about; the Disney/ Hans Christian Anderson kind, and then the kind that were in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Peter Pan. It was a very interesting take on them and it turned out flawless. I also have a spot in my heart for mermaids, so that made me love it even more. :)

Something else was that I was captivated from the first line. It grabbed my attention and didn't let go. It had great pacing and it flowed really well too.

Another thing that kept me captivated was that the characters were believable. Lily was a relatable character.  She really fit her role as an older sister who was protective, and she acted like a teenager. Calder was a different story. From page one, he was a very set character, but when you look at it, Calder had changed so much. I cannot resist good character development, and Calder's was so well done its unbelievable.

Now. Onto the things that I didn't like. And that was nothing. The story was well written, had a wonderful plot and strong protagonists and that kept me captivated the entire time. I was blown away by it and I cannot wait for everyone else to read it. I will be picking this up in hard cover when it comes out. I'm stoked about it!

Overall, It was a privilege to read and I recommend that, on June 12th, when it comes out, everyone should buy this book.

5/5 stars.

See you all soon!
-Indigo
@IndigoWayworth

No comments:

Post a Comment